This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1447 / 57°8'40"N
Longitude: -4.6767 / 4°40'35"W
OS Eastings: 238148
OS Northings: 809154
OS Grid: NH381091
Mapcode National: GBR G9TV.4KW
Mapcode Global: WH2FK.4P95
Entry Name: Fort Augustus Abbey Church
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332622
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1862
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Boleskine and Abertarff
Electoral Ward: Aird and Loch Ness
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Church orientated E-W and sited to S of monastery and school
to which it is linked by short East Cloister (P. P. Pugin
1880) and Chapter House (probably also P. P. Pugin, 1896).
Church principally designed by Reginald Fairlie in 2 stages,
1914-17 and 1949-58. 1st stage includes monks' choir with N and
S aisles, Blessed Sacrament chapel at SE incorporating the P. P.
Pugin St Andrew's Chapel of 1893. 2nd stage; N and S aisles.
Narthex and W porch with baptistry designed by Charles Gray,
1966. Interior of church completed 1980 by W. W. Allan.
Tall rectangular building with gabled centre flanked by flat
roofed aisles; all pinned varied coloured squared granite
with tooled granite dressings. 6 long, narrow round-headed
windows light N elevation; similar single window in centre
of W gable, which is fronted by gabled narthex and porch,
with semi-circular glazed baptistry projecting at N.
Interior; Romanesque detailing. Monks' choir with 3-bay
arcades of high round pillars supporting round-headed arches,
clerestory and timber hammer-beam angle roof. Choir divided
from aisles by simple parclose screen. Plain semi-circular
apse pierced by orange glazed cross and upper lights. High
Altar raised on podium between monks' choir and nave.
Nave divided from N and S aisles by octagonal pillars of
Covesea stone rising to round-headed arches; plain white
walls. Blessed Sacrament chapel at SE (1917) with altar under
rich embossed deerskin baldachino supported on painted
facetted columns (R. Fairlie). Moulded joists to timber
Podium and flooring throughout most of church laid with
varied green Coniston slate.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Up-graded category B to A 7 May 1999.
Other nearby listed buildings