History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Synton

A Category C Listed Building in Ashkirk, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5043 / 55°30'15"N

Longitude: -2.8156 / 2°48'56"W

OS Eastings: 348580

OS Northings: 623694

OS Grid: NT485236

Mapcode National: GBR 84SS.7P

Mapcode Global: WH7X1.QXF6

Entry Name: North Synton

Listing Date: 23 June 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332692

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1919

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ashkirk

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire

Traditional County: Roxburghshire

Find accommodation in
Ashkirk

Description

16th century, with 1689 and later alterations. 2-storey and part-basement, 3-bay farmhouse with single storey extensions. Whitewashed rubble with some quoin strips, stone cills and painted margins. Corniced, roll-moulded doorpiece. Stone mullions.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: projecting bay to centre with moulded doorpiece incorporating relief carved lintel with 'MRC?IS 1689', deep-set boarded timber door and 3-part fanlight; re-entrant angle to left with low piend-roofed bay with window in return to left, and tiny window to 1st floor of set-back face; further single storey piended

projection with bipartite window and single window on return to left in re-entrant angle to right, this adjoining single storey bays projecting at outer right.

E ELEVATION: blank gabled elevation.

S ELEVATION: bays grouped (2-1). Part basement to left; centre bay with pitch-roofed porch, door slightly to left at basement, window to centre at ground and door on return to right, windows in flanking bays (that to right converted to bipartite), further windows in adjoining single storey bays at outer left; regular fenestration to 1st floor; 3 small cast-iron rooflights above.

4-, 8-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Mutuled brick stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen 2002.

Statement of Interest

The principal rectangle of the farmhouse is the earliest part, being of 16th century date, and was probably built by James Vach who succeeded to the lands of Synton in 1536. The north centre projection and 17th century dated lintel were probably installed by Robert Cunningham and his wife, possibly Isabel Scott of Synton. The Inventory mentions a vaulted basement of 16th century date, as well as a southern entrance with round-arched doorway and 'shelved aumbry'.

Recommended Books

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.