This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.4174 / 55°25'2"N
Longitude: -2.7272 / 2°43'37"W
OS Eastings: 354063
OS Northings: 613963
OS Grid: NT540139
Mapcode National: GBR 95DS.CT
Mapcode Global: WH7XP.23L8
Entry Name: Kirkton Church (Church of Scotland) Including Graveyard, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 7 November 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332874
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2046
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Hawick and Denholm
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
1841; porch and chancel additions by John Robertson, 1904-1906. 3-bay, rectangular-plan, gable-fronted church with advanced pinnacled porch and birdcage belfry to W gable and gabled chancel and vestry to E. Whinstone rubble with polished ashlar dressings. Base course; eaves course. Pointed-arch windows with raised margins and timber tracery; stone tracery to chancel.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 2-leaf timber-boarded door with strap hinges, set in roll-moulded pointed-arch to gabled porch with side pinnacles and cross-finial to gable apex. Hood-moulded window to principal gable behind. 3-bay side elevations. Gabled chancel to E with lower gabled vestry set at right angles to right.
Coloured leaded lights set in fixed timber windows. Ashlar-coped skews with cross finials to additions and ball finial to E gable. Welsh slate roof with ashlar ridge. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: trussed timber roof in nave; chancel with trussed and boarded roof. Timber panelling to dado height in nave and on sloping window cills. Art Nouveau gasoliers.
GRAVEYARD: coped rubble boundary walls. Spear-headed gates at SW corner, probably mid-19th century; mounting stone adjacent to gate. Gravestones, mainly to S, E and W of church, late 18th and 19th centuries.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A simple but well-proportioned mid-19th century rural church, standing on an elevated site and a conspicuous feature in the landscape. As yet no architect has been identified for the original 1841 church. The additions by the prolific church architect John Robertson of Inverness (1840-1925) are of interest as so far no other work by him in the Borders has been identified. The work is incorrectly attributed to James Pearson Alison in some sources. Robertson's original plan for the additions was considerably more ambitious with round-ended chancel, transepts (containing reading room and vestry) and porch. These rounded corners were characteristic features of a design by Robertson. However these plans were modified as the cost was too high and the simplified square-ended chancel and porch were built.
Other nearby listed buildings