This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6143 / 55°36'51"N
Longitude: -2.4076 / 2°24'27"W
OS Eastings: 374421
OS Northings: 635708
OS Grid: NT744357
Mapcode National: GBR C3MJ.K8
Mapcode Global: WH8XZ.Z4PV
Entry Name: Hendersyde Park, Stable Court, Stable Cottage, Coach House and Associated Buildings
Listing Date: 16 August 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332914
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2077
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Kelso and District
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
John Smith, circa 1830 with early 20th century improvements and extensions. Double courtyard arrangement of predominantly single storey blocks comprising 1830 U-plan Classical stable block with pedimented basket-arched pend and columned cupola; former Head Gardener's house enclosing courtyard to N; later secondary courtyard containing stables, kennels and groom's cottage to W. Polished sandstone ashlar to principal elevation; sandstone rubble (some parts rendered) with ashlar dressings elsewhere.
U-PLAN COURT: 7 bay principal (SW) elevation with slightly advanced pedimented entrance pend to centre surmounted by hexagonal dome-roofed cupula with ornate finial; 3-bay ranges to each side (blind fenestration to right). Clock face to inner pediment of pend; stables in E range; 2 basket-arched former vehicle sheds (now filled in with windows) to W range. Louvred timber vents to roof.
FORMER HEAD GARDENER'S HOUSE: 2-storey, 8-bay, piend-roofed block; advanced off-centre 2-bay pedimented gable with oculus at gable apex; gabled dormers to right.
W COURT: irregular group of predominantly piend-roofed blocks including double basket-arched coach house to E (opening onto E courtyard); stables to N with louvred ventilators to roof; kennels to W; pair of single storey and attic cottages to S.
4-, 6- and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; cast iron roof lights, some inset plate glass roof lights, some more modern Velux roof lights to inner pitches. Stone and brick stacks with plain cans. Grey slates with lead and aluminium flashings. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Square timber and metal louvered ridge ventilators.
INTERIORS: main block: stabling with some original timber boarded stalls (rearranged) with plain railings to SE corner of range; stone and whitewashed stables; timber boarded tack and drying room with timber doors and stairs; stone slab floors remain in some rooms; modernised groom's accommodation with cast iron fireplaces.
The stable block, courtyard and associated buildings are of a good quality construction, forming a strong group originating in the early 19th century but with early 20th century extensions and improvements. The symmetrical main entrance block with pedimented pend and belvedere is of particular quality and the stables make a strong contribution to the group of estate buildings.
The extensive stable block and its associated buildings retain much of their original character and contain the wide range of different types of accommodation that one would expect in a stable block of this size, including loose boxes, carriage and cart sheds, turnip house, kennels with railings to out door exercise area and staff accommodation.
John Smith (1782-1864) was a prolific and enterprising architect-builder who lived at Darnick, near Melrose and was of considerable importance to the region. As a young man he his brother inherited his father's building firm and he was subsequently employed by Sir Walter Scott as the main contractor at Abbotsford, and designed a number of the outbuildings there including the garden walls and game larder as well as some of the detailing of the house. He also extended Chiefswood for Scott's daughter, worked on a number of other country houses and estates in the Borders, and built the churches at Melrose, Galashiels, Ettrick, Yetholm and Westruther. Hendersyde stable block is a good example of his work and a typical example of the type of work he was employed to do.
The Hendersyde Park policies straddle two parishes, with the west lodge and the north lodge falling into Kelso Parish and the main house and other associated estate buildings falling within Ednam Parish.
Hendersyde Park was seat to the Waldie family. Notable family members include Robert Waldie, who was a friend of Sir Walter Scott's and Scott was a regular visitor to the Hendersyde and made use of their extensive library. John Waldie was a writer and a bound manuscript of his is held within the 19th century manuscripts collection at Yale University. The original house to the estate was the only mansion in Ednam Parish at the time of the 2nd Statistical Account. It was replaced by the present house in about 1940.
Stables upgraded from category C to B in 2007. The Head Gardener's Cottage was renovated circa 2005 which resulted in the loss of the original interiors.
Other nearby listed buildings