This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5097 / 57°30'34"N
Longitude: -3.6539 / 3°39'14"W
OS Eastings: 301007
OS Northings: 847813
OS Grid: NJ010478
Mapcode National: GBR K8BW.BYQ
Mapcode Global: WH5HP.VH7W
Entry Name: Dunphail House
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333046
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2171
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forres
Traditional County: Morayshire
Dated 1828 and 1871. William Playfair, 1828-9 mansion,
enlarged 1833 and 1842; alterations 1871, re-modelled Ronald
Phillips and Partners, 1964-6. Irregular picturesque
Italianate 2-storey house of differing roof heights with
long elevations N and S, and 3-stage tower at W gable with
shallow pyramidal roof. Pinned rubble, polished and tooled
ashlar sandstone dressings.
N ENTRANCE FRONT: 5-bay block at W of range fronted by wide
single storey advanced porch with engaged Roman Doric
columns, balustrade and recessed segmental-headed entrance
sheltering glazed doors under radial fanlight. Further 4-bay
range extends from E gable (datestone of 1871) with centre
shallow porch blocked as window. Further extensive walled
service court to S closed by 2-storey service dwelling with
shallow pyramidal roof (1842).
S GARDEN FRONT: symmetrical wide 3-bay block at W with
recessed centre bay spanned by balcony with decorative
balustrade supported by paired pilasters and sheltering
glazed entrance similar to N. (Re-modelled 1964-6). Mural
sundial on S face of tower; monogrammed plaque at N.
S front extends E with round-headed ground floor windows
beneath lean-to roof supported by substantial buttresses
dividing each window bay with end single bay with segmental-
headed loggia and higher 1st floor with round-headed
tripartite and shallow pyramidal roof. Multi-pane glazing
(some horizontal); renewed ridge stacks; piended slate roofs,
at W with platform roof and modillioned eaves.
INTERIOR: mainly re-modelled in 1965-6. Entrance lobby leads
to wide corridor hall through centre of W range to garden
door and verandah. (?Re-used) panelling with niches and
bookcases; plaster decoration to ceiling, overdoors, panelled
doors and some fluted pilasters delineating panelling.
DRAWING ROOM: carved wooden chimneypiece; overdoor and
panelled door with decorative beading; shallow coffering to
DINING ROOM: simple moulded detailing to ceiling; corniced
overdoor; marble topped radiator grill replaces former
chimneypiece; beaded mahogony door; panelled dado.
NW SITTING ROOM: ('Boys Room); re-used panelling, delineated
on inner wall in 3 by fluted Ionic pilasters. Round-headed
keystoned detailing; lugged and carved wooden chimneypiece
with swagged detailing.
STAIRCASE: barley-sugar twist turned wooden balusters; square
end newels with carved swags in relief and urn finials.
Dunphail Castle and land originally owned by Cumins of
Altyre; passed through Dunbars of Westfield to Grants of
Grant; inherited by Gordon Cumming of Altyre and through
marriage of Major Cumming to Mary Bruce of Kinnaird (taking
name of Cumming Bruce).
Dunphail House built by L Cumming Bruce.
Small single arched bridge dated 1808, with Latin inscription commemorating Aemillae Lenox Cumming, E of mansion. Earlier
19th century octagonal garden pavilion with piended roof
Upgarded B to A 9.11.87
Other nearby listed buildings