History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edinkillie Parish Church (Church of Scotland), Watch House and Burial Ground

A Category B Listed Building in Forres, Moray

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.4987 / 57°29'55"N

Longitude: -3.6374 / 3°38'14"W

OS Eastings: 301965

OS Northings: 846575

OS Grid: NJ019465

Mapcode National: GBR K8DX.0HY

Mapcode Global: WH5HQ.3S58

Entry Name: Edinkillie Parish Church (Church of Scotland), Watch House and Burial Ground

Listing Date: 26 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333065

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2187

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinkillie

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Forres

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Ardclach

Description

1741, renovated 1813. Simple rectangular church with long 6-
bay S elevation. Harled with ashlar margins and dressings. 3
irregular piended or gabled projections at rear, with
entrances in outer return re-entrant angles with window above,
and housing stairwell and vestry. Later single keystoned
oculus in outer bays. 6 square-headed symmetrical windows
in S elevation; round-headed keystoned gallery window with
block imposts lights each gable.
Multi-pane glazing; simple bellcote at W gable, finial at E;
slate roof. Mural memorial plaque at base of W gable.
INTERIOR: galleried interior to 3 sides, narrow at S and
largely infilled by 1941 organ. Panelled demi-octagonal
pulpit in centre S wall with similarly shaped sounding board;
panelled back-board with flanking fluted pilasters. Plain
pine pews; simple shallow panelling to gallery front; 1941
Communion table.
Simple pine dado to entrance passage accommodating re-set
stone armorial dated 166?6, initialled MD and with worn
inscription.
WATCH HOUSE- early 19th century rubble hexagonal watch house
with centre door in N face and flanking windows; rear
wallhead stack; facetted local slate roof; apex ball finial.
Former manse garden wall abuts watch house each side.
BURIAL GROUND: drystone wall encloses burial ground; squat
round rubble piers flank entrance with round stone caps.
18th and 19th century tombstones.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Re-set armorial in church initialled MD (Mark?) Dunbar with

Dunbar coat of arms. The Dunbars owned Dunphail castle during

16th, 17th and early 18th centuries.

Mural plaque and tomb at W gable to Sir Thomas Dick Lauder of Fountainhall and Relugas, author of 'An Account of the Great

Floods of August 1829' who died in Edinburgh 29th May 1848.

Fine row of Collection Ladles hang in entrance passage.

Communion table given in memory of Fl Lt Robert Bruce of

Glenerney, killed in action 1941.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.