History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St John's Church (Church of Scotland)

A Category B Listed Building in Keith and Cullen, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6407 / 57°38'26"N

Longitude: -2.831 / 2°49'51"W

OS Eastings: 350487

OS Northings: 861505

OS Grid: NJ504615

Mapcode National: GBR M8CJ.HTT

Mapcode Global: WH7KS.H64V

Entry Name: St John's Church (Church of Scotland)

Listing Date: 24 March 1988

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333094

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2212

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Deskford

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Keith and Cullen

Parish: Deskford

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Cullen

Description

John Miller, Cullen, dated 1871. Cruciform Gothic church
orientated to E with entrance in W gable. Harled rubble,
tooled and polished ashlar dressings and margins. Slightly
advanced and pinnacled centre bay in W gable with centre
entrance under pointed-headed Y-tracery light and with
double-leaf plank doors with ornate cast-iron hinges.
Large 2-light window above with flanking smaller
pointed-headed lights, all under hoodmoulds. Apex bellcot.
5-bay flanks including shallow transepts with large
traceried windows, in N transept incorporating decorative
R and cross. Narrow hoodmould pointed-headed windows
elsewhere; lattice-pane glazing with coloured margins.
Apex cross finial; slate roof.
INTERIOR: simple galleried interior with stencilled
decoration to walls.
Coped rubble wall encloses church, low at W (fronting road)
and capped with cast-iron spearhead railings.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Superseded ruinous building in burial ground at Kirkton.

John Miller was architect and master of works at Cullen

House (Seafield Estates); he died 1880. Foundation stone

laid (after completion of church) by Lord Reidhaven in

presence of Earl and Countess of Seafield 13 March, 1872.

Bell in bellcote re-used from old church. War memorial

1914-19 stands in front of church.

Decorative window tracery incorporates R for Reidhaven;

similar work in Grantown-on-Spey parish church, also

gifted by Seafield family (1884-6)

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.