This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6849 / 57°41'5"N
Longitude: -2.8272 / 2°49'37"W
OS Eastings: 350774
OS Northings: 866416
OS Grid: NJ507664
Mapcode National: GBR M8CD.ZJ3
Mapcode Global: WH7KL.J3YJ
Entry Name: Old Cullen, House, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333097
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2215
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Keith and Cullen
Traditional County: Banffshire
2-storey, symmetrically fronted house of various builds with
18th and early 19th century core. Harled, ashlar margins
(mainly white painted).
6-bay U-plan E frontage (raised from single storey circa 1900,
probably John Fowlie, architect). Centre entrance masked by
single storey pedimented and pilastered porch (in style of
William Robertson, 1825-30). Panelled door in porch, narrow
windows in centre recessed bays. Rear of house flanked by
projecting wings; additional single storey wing extends
at W. 8- and 12-pane glazing. Coped and margined ridge and
wallhead stacks; slate roofs (mainly piended).
GATEPIERS: probably early 19th century and probably by Fraser's
of Banff. Pair re-used open trellis cast-iron gatepiers with
small apex urn finials. Pair matching spearhead carriage
The core of this house is the only surviving dwelling
from the town of Old Cullen, all the rest of which was
demolished after the construction of the 'New Town', circa
1821. It was the home of John Fraser, cashier and afterwards commissioner to Earl of Seafield, 1811-58.
2 circa 1900 photographs of Old Cullen show a single storey
U-plan frontage fronting 2-storey and attic house. This
frontage is in the style of William Robertson of Elgin,
who made many such additions (see Rathven Parish, Bruntown
and Tochieneal). The present 2-storey frontage has been
designed in sympathy with that of the early 19th century
and could easily be mistaken as of that date. John Fowlie
was architect to Seafield estates and probably designed the
heightening of the house; he designed the additional bays
to the Cullen Town Hall, also William Robertson and also in
sympathy with the earlier building. Cast-iron gatepiers and
gates formerly at Woodside gate lodge (Ratheven Parish) which
was demolished circa 1980.
Other nearby listed buildings