This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.7029 / 57°42'10"N
Longitude: -3.3561 / 3°21'21"W
OS Eastings: 319281
OS Northings: 868934
OS Grid: NJ192689
Mapcode National: GBR L82C.HC2
Mapcode Global: WH6J0.FN36
Entry Name: Gordonstoun, Michael Kirk (St Michael's Ogstoun) Burial Ground and Walls, Cross
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333125
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2242
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Heldon and Laich
Traditional County: Morayshire
MICHAEL KIRK: dated 1705, restored and interior refurbished,
John Kinross, 1900-01. Gothic. Ashlar. Small 3-bay church
with large pointed windows with elaborate Y-tracery in E and
W gables. Centre S door with flanking windows; reveals with
half-round and fillet moulding decorated with stairs and
roses; flanking windows with Y-tracery and deeply moulded
architraves; continuous string course dropped under cills.
Square clear glass quarries; flat moulded skews; steeply
pitched West Highland slate roof with stone ridge and apex
INTERIOR: panelled throughout, 1900-01. Various mural
memorials including that to Sir Robert Gordon, died 1704
(possibly carved by John Faid, Elgin), and previous and
subsequent Gordons and Gordon Cummings. Chequered black and
white marble floor.
BURIAL GROUND: surrounded by simple stone walls with low,
coped, square dressed rubble gatepiers to E and W entrances;
western gatepiers have inset re-used 17th century carved
CROSS: market cross type; tall, rectangular shaft with
chamfered and stopped angles; incised hammer mark; hole
probably for jougs; small star shaped finial with centre
hole; stands on simple square stone plinth.
Ecclecisiastical building in use as such in the charge of the Scottish Episcopal Church.
Built by Dame Elizabeth Dunbar as a mausoleum in memory
of her husband, Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun. Restored by
Lady (Florence) Gordon Cumming for use during her family's
summer residences at Gordonstoun from Altyre (Forres). Now
used as chapel for Gordonstoun School.
Altar moved to W end of church to increase seating
Parish of Ogstoun united with that of Kineddar in 1669 as
parish of Drainie. Old Drainie Church (1673); New Drainie
Church (1821, Gillespie Graham) dem. 1923. Ogstoun also
served as market site.
Other nearby listed buildings