History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cabrach Parish Church and Burial Ground (Church of Scotland)

A Category B Listed Building in Cabrach, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.3275 / 57°19'39"N

Longitude: -3.0208 / 3°1'14"W

OS Eastings: 338631

OS Northings: 826791

OS Grid: NJ386267

Mapcode National: GBR L9XC.0X0

Mapcode Global: WH7M7.K2QZ

Entry Name: Cabrach Parish Church and Burial Ground (Church of Scotland)

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333140

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2255

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cabrach

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet

Parish: Cabrach

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Rhynie

Description

Dated 1786. Simple rectangular church with symmetrical 4-bay
S elevation and entrance in W gable. Roughly harled rubble,
tooled rubble and ashlar dressings. 4 square-headed windows
in S front with 12-pane glazing and hinges
for shutters.
Double-leaf plank door in W with gallery window above.
Bellcote at E gable apex with shaped cap and ball finial;
Banffshire slate roof with stone ridge. Later single bay
Minister's room at E gable.
INTERIOR: plain interior, re-cast circa 1900. Gallery at
W; pulpit fronts semi-circular alcove (probably replacing
former E doorway) with moulded surround and painted text.
Panelled pulpit with neo-Jacobean detailing reached by
short flight stairs with turned balusters to handrail.
Simple late 18th century delicate plaster motif in centre
in ceiling, surrounding lamphook.
Mural memorial dated 1771 (re-set from earlier church).
Further 1817 memorial.
BURIAL GROUND: rubble walls enclose burial ground. Tooled
ashlar piers with shaped caps and ball finial flank
carriage entrance; similar piers to pedestrian entrance.
Good 18th and 19th century local slate tombstones.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Present church replaced that of 1580 on same site.

Date on left skewputt.

1771 Mural monument inscribed 'Before this Stone lyes

Elizabeth Grant late Spouse to Mr James Gordon Minr.

here who died March 2 1771 Aged 46 years and her Two Sons

Viz George and John Gordons' Painted coat of arms heads

plaque.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.