This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.619 / 57°37'8"N
Longitude: -3.6503 / 3°39'1"W
OS Eastings: 301517
OS Northings: 859978
OS Grid: NJ015599
Mapcode National: GBR K8CL.6L0
Mapcode Global: WH5H3.WRXL
Entry Name: Moy House and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333164
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2275
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dyke and Moy
Electoral Ward: Forres
Parish: Dyke And Moy
Traditional County: Morayshire
Colin (Collen) Williamson (of Dyke) 1752 and 1762. John Adam,
1762-3. Alexander Ross, 1870.
3-storey mid 18th century classical mansion with E and W
5-bay elevations; flanking early-mid 18th century lower
3-storey wings project at E forming U-plan court; further
irregular 2-storey 1870 gabled ranges N and S.
Centre 3-storey, 5-bay block cherry-pointed squared tooled
ashlar with simulated cherry-pointing over harled rubble at
raised basement, W front. Harled rubble elsewhere, except
tooled rubble to 1870 work. Tooled and polished ashlar
W FRONT: centre porticoed entrance in narrow centre bay
approached by flight of steps oversailing raised basement;
round-headed entrance flanked by side lights with engaged
Roman Doric columns supporting cornice; Venetian landing
window above with Ionic columns and deep moulded entablature;
naive mask to keystone.
E FRONT: symmetrical 3-storey, 5-bay frontage with entrance
in centre of raised basement and 3-bay advanced flanking
wings (wings 1752 or earlier), each with blocked entrance in
re-entrant angle. Round-headed centre door under corniced
doorpiece with flanking thin engaged Ionic columns. Long
centre 1st floor window (window possibly lengthened at later
date to accommodate balcony, now disappeared). Symmetrical
2-window return gables to earlier wings.
Low 2nd storey with small windows to both portions of 18th
century mansion; 6-, 9-, 12- and 15-pane (some 2-pane
replacements in frontage) glazing with some thick astragals
and some blind windows; flat skews with moulded underside and
run-off skewputts to earlier wings; moulded eaves cornice to
centre 1862-3 block. Coped and necked end and wallhead stacks
to earlier wings; corniced twin ridge stacks to centre block.
Gabled and piended slate roofs. 1870 additions with 2-pane
glazing; canted bay window in E front; gabled and slated
Service court at S flanked by pair rusticated ashlar
gatepiers with ball finials (1 missing). Court linked at S
to 2-storey service buildings with 3-bay S front and
forestair at E gable leading to 1st floor dwelling and
round-headed entrance with flanking lights.
INTERIOR OF MAIN HOUSE: cantilevered stone staircase with
moulded risers and underside and decorative cast-iron
balusters. Moulded stairhall ceiling.
FORMER DINING ROOM: centre door from landing with corniced
overdoor (to landing) and pedimented overdoor to room;
fielded panelled doors and window shutters; carved overmantel
with modern grate.
FORMER DRAWING ROOM: ornate plaster centre ceiling rose and
moulded cornice; fielded panelled doors with moulded
surrounds; carved wooden overmantel to original grate with
marble slip and black enamel surround with brass insets with
portraits of King (?George III) and Prince of Wales; panelled
2nd floor centre bedroom with heavy lugged doorpiece to half
2 vaulted wine cellars in raised basement; guilloche moulded
ceiling cornice in ground floor SW room (former 'low dining
room'); fielded panelling to other doors and window shutters.
GATEPIERS: pair square rusticated ashlar gatepiers with
moulded cornices supporting ball finials flank 2 entrance at
House stands on old site. Burial ground (probably earlier
Moy church site) to E.
Outer wings of 18th century house may be 'House of Moy built
by Collen Williamson', 1752 flanking 'auld house' demolished
for $5 and replaced by J Adam centre block. Alternative
designs by Robert Adam prepared in 1759 but rejected in
favour of those of his brother John, 1762-3.
Moy was Campbell of Cawdor property, acquired by Major George
Grant in 1733, rebuilt by Sir Ludovic Grant of Castle Grant
1762-3. Passed to Grants of Shewglie (Glenurquhart) and
Glenmorriston. Various owners since 1922.
Entrance at E side of house of importance for it served the
approach by ferry over the Findhorn at Broom of Moy, from
where all travellers from E would have crossed and approached
house. Findhorn bridged in 1799-1800 when carriage traffic
could cross river and therefore use W approach to house.
Domestic ice house sited W of mansion.
Other nearby listed buildings