History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moy Mains, Former Stables and Carriage-Houses

A Category A Listed Building in Forres, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6207 / 57°37'14"N

Longitude: -3.648 / 3°38'52"W

OS Eastings: 301663

OS Northings: 860167

OS Grid: NJ016601

Mapcode National: GBR K8CL.1PL

Mapcode Global: WH5H3.YQ17

Entry Name: Moy Mains, Former Stables and Carriage-Houses

Listing Date: 9 November 1987

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333165

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2276

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dyke and Moy

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Forres

Parish: Dyke And Moy

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Forres

Description

Possibly Colin Williamson of Dyke, circa 1780. Symmetrical S
facing stable and carriage-house range. Pinned ashlar
frontage, rubble return and rear elevations, polished ashlar
dressings.
2-storey, 9-bay S front with wide slightly advanced and
pedimented outer bay each with large round-headed carriage
house entrance. Similar centre entrance to inner court
flanked by former 3-bay stables. Regular loft windows.
Centre octagonal single stage clock tower with moulded clock
face in S front and louvred (some boarded up) openings in
alternate faces; moulded eaves cornice exaggerated bellcast
octagonal piended slate roof with apex weathervane.
Flanking and apex ball finials formerly decorated outer
pediments (bases survive, some ball finials lie beside
steading).
Piended slate roofs.

Statement of Interest

Moy House remodelled for Sir Ludovic Grant of Grant by John

Adam 1762-3. A plan of Moy House with extensive stable wings

was drawn by Colin Williamson (Mason in Dyke) circa 1762.

If these stables were constructed they were replaced by the

present range, sited a little further from the mansion, after

1776 for the present stable/carriage house range does not

appear on 'Map of Lands of Moy of 1776'.

Colin Williamson known to have been working on Dyke Church in

1781; he emigrated to America soon after.

South facing range fronting hollow square only included in

listing; rear U-plan complex excluded.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.