History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Duffus Village, Parish Church (Church of Scotland)

A Category B Listed Building in Duffus, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6993 / 57°41'57"N

Longitude: -3.3967 / 3°23'48"W

OS Eastings: 316851

OS Northings: 868581

OS Grid: NJ168685

Mapcode National: GBR K8ZC.NRQ

Mapcode Global: WH6HZ.SQQZ

Entry Name: Duffus Village, Parish Church (Church of Scotland)

Listing Date: 25 April 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333181

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2290

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Duffus

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Heldon and Laich

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Hopeman

Description

Alexander Reid (A and W Reid), 1868-9 (dated 1868). Gothic
rectangular church with long 4-play elevations N and S and
and advanced porch under spire at SW. Rubble, tooled and
polished ashlar dressings. Projecting square porch at SW
rising as octagonal louvred belfry with Gothic detailing
under tapering octagonal spire terminating in decorative cast-
iron weathervane. Recessed pointed-headed entrance with
flanking nook-shafts and double leaf door with ornate cast-
iron hinges.
Buttressed S elevation lit by 3 paired narrow lancet
hoodmoulded windows; similar fenestration in N elevation.
Pair pointed-headed windows with geometric tracery light
E gable; large wheel window in centre of W gable; lattice-
pane glazing. Dated rainwater goods; steeply pitched slate
roof with apex cross finials.
INTERIOR: simple interior with pine dado, pews and decorative
pine panelled W gallery front. Raised square pulpit at E end
with cusped detailing to front and organ at rear.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Church constructed to replace the Peterkirk, the old parish

church. Lady Dunbar of Duffus House, an artist, took a great

interest in the design. The spire was added, and paid for,

by Dr D Brander, the Minister, to mark his fortieth year

as Minister of the Parish (he served from 1828-1880).

War Memorial (1914-18) and 1939-45 sited in front of church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.