This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6484 / 57°38'54"N
Longitude: -3.4504 / 3°27'1"W
OS Eastings: 313530
OS Northings: 862983
OS Grid: NJ135629
Mapcode National: GBR K8VH.VK8
Mapcode Global: WH5H6.Z04Y
Entry Name: Old Parish Church and Walled Burial Ground, Including Russell Burial Enclosure
Listing Date: 25 April 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333234
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2330
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Heldon and Laich
Traditional County: Morayshire
Dated 1769. Long narrow rectangular church with
distinctive narrow 8-bay fenestration in S elevation.
Harled, ashlar margins and dressings. Round-headed
entrance in E gable with re-set aediculed and pedimented
mural monument dated 1677 and 1722 to right. 7 narrow,
round-headed long windows light S elevation, shorter and
wider in bays 3 and 5: similar styled doorway in outer
SW bay with blind narrow round-headed light above.
Similar single gallery window in E and W gables.
Multi-pane glazing in poor condition; some shutter
hooks survive. Birdcage bellcote at E gable apex with
slightly concave cap topped by ball finial and dated
1769; slate roof.
INTERIOR: empty, all furnishings removed.
BURIAL GROUND: irregular shaped burial ground surrounds
church, extended at E. Various 18th century and
In SW corner the Russell burial enclosure dated 1725;
squared and rusticated ashlar with balustraded wallhead
and moulded lugged doorpiece. 2 entrances to burial
ground, each with simple square gate piers, that at E
end of ground of late 19th century date.
Church no longer in ecclesiastical use.
Mural monument flanking E entrance has worn latin
inscription and initialled BI and IF for Beroald Innes
of Inchstelly and Margaret Falconer his wife. The
memorial was situated in the choir of the pre-1769
Russell enclosure has initials JR and ES with date 1725
carved each side of entrance and plaque inscribed 'This
Buriall place was erected by James Russell Chamberlaine
to the Earl of Moray at Earles-Mill for himself his
Spouse Elizabeth Spence and their children. The said
James Russell died the 11 Jany. 1735 year and his
forsaid spouse died the 25 Sept 1737 year'.
Other nearby listed buildings