History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Parish Church and Walled Burial Ground, Including Russell Burial Enclosure

A Category B Listed Building in Alves, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6484 / 57°38'54"N

Longitude: -3.4504 / 3°27'1"W

OS Eastings: 313530

OS Northings: 862983

OS Grid: NJ135629

Mapcode National: GBR K8VH.VK8

Mapcode Global: WH5H6.Z04Y

Entry Name: Old Parish Church and Walled Burial Ground, Including Russell Burial Enclosure

Listing Date: 25 April 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333234

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2330

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Alves

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Heldon and Laich

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Crook of Alves

Description

Dated 1769. Long narrow rectangular church with
distinctive narrow 8-bay fenestration in S elevation.
Harled, ashlar margins and dressings. Round-headed
entrance in E gable with re-set aediculed and pedimented
mural monument dated 1677 and 1722 to right. 7 narrow,
round-headed long windows light S elevation, shorter and
wider in bays 3 and 5: similar styled doorway in outer
SW bay with blind narrow round-headed light above.
Similar single gallery window in E and W gables.
Multi-pane glazing in poor condition; some shutter
hooks survive. Birdcage bellcote at E gable apex with
slightly concave cap topped by ball finial and dated
1769; slate roof.
INTERIOR: empty, all furnishings removed.
BURIAL GROUND: irregular shaped burial ground surrounds
church, extended at E. Various 18th century and
subsequent tombstones.
In SW corner the Russell burial enclosure dated 1725;
squared and rusticated ashlar with balustraded wallhead
and moulded lugged doorpiece. 2 entrances to burial
ground, each with simple square gate piers, that at E
end of ground of late 19th century date.

Statement of Interest

Church no longer in ecclesiastical use.

Mural monument flanking E entrance has worn latin

inscription and initialled BI and IF for Beroald Innes

of Inchstelly and Margaret Falconer his wife. The

memorial was situated in the choir of the pre-1769

church.

Russell enclosure has initials JR and ES with date 1725

carved each side of entrance and plaque inscribed 'This

Buriall place was erected by James Russell Chamberlaine

to the Earl of Moray at Earles-Mill for himself his

Spouse Elizabeth Spence and their children. The said

James Russell died the 11 Jany. 1735 year and his

forsaid spouse died the 25 Sept 1737 year'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.