This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6474 / 57°38'50"N
Longitude: -3.5228 / 3°31'22"W
OS Eastings: 309205
OS Northings: 862957
OS Grid: NJ092629
Mapcode National: GBR K8NH.YVT
Mapcode Global: WH5H5.V1NS
Entry Name: Milton Brodie House and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 25 April 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333241
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2336
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forres
Traditional County: Morayshire
S facade of 1835-40 in style of William Robertson of
Elgin, fronting and infilling early-mid 18th century
2-storey and attic U-plan courtyard house of 2 or more
builds. Frontage rendered and lined as ashlar, harled or
harl pointed flanks and rear, tooled and polished ashlar
dressings and margins.
Mainly single storey 7-bay S front screens earlier rear
with centre door with narrow side lights; tetrastyle
Ionic porch with monolith columns; long paired flanking
windows (lighting drawing room left and dining room
right); outer bays (formerly gable ends of flanking
wings of earlier house) with slightly advanced 2-storey
pedimented window sections rising above wallhead with
anthemion acroteria, supported by ornate scroll
brackets; shallow aprons to corniced ground floor
windows in moulded lugged surrounds; paired stacks
crown pediments. End bays linked by continuous cornice
and blocking course.
W elevation comprises 2 x 2-storey and attic, 3-bay
blocks, that to SW dating from late 18th century (with
centre door) and at NW dated 1900, both blocks linked
by set-back W gable of original 2-storey and attic
house, forming small U-plan court.
Irregular rear with projecting gabled stairwell.
Lying-pane glazing in S front (partially blind windows
in outer bays); 12-pane glazing elsewhere. Paired square
ashlar end and ridge stacks in front, various coped end
stacks elsewhere; early 18th century cavetto skewputts
on earliest portion of house; slate roofs.
INTERIOR: wide entrance hall with drawing room left and
dining room right (all 1835-40).
DRAWING ROOM: tall double doors with corniced overdoor;
carved wooden chimneypiece with marble slips; decorative
plaster ceiling cornice with anthemion design.
DINING ROOM: similar paired doors as drawing room; Ionic
columned screen; simple ceiling cornice; white painted
chimneypiece with marble slips.
18th century fielded panelled doors and window shutters
survive in older part of house which has low ceilinged
GATEPIERS: 2 pairs of mid 18th century gatepiers,
flanking E and S entrances. Square, polished ashlar with
shaped caps and ball finials on attenuated bases.
Milton Brodie House built on old site, part of lands of
Kinloss Abbey. During 18th century it was called
Windyhills, also the name of a property in Grange
Parish, which was itself the Grange of Kinloss. James
Brodie of Windyhills died in 1741, leaving the estate to
his relation, George Brodie whose father had sold his
estate of Milton (now Miltonduff) to the Duffs of Braco;
the Brodies re-named Windyhills Milton Brodie. In 1798
the house was 'not modern (but) indicating neat internal
accommodation'; by 1842 it had 'lately received
considerable additions and improvements'.
Walled garden and gazebo no longer belong to house; the
gazebo is listed separately. The walled garden is not
included in listing.
Small gutted cottage, sited to N of mansion and known as
'The Penitentiary' incorporates late 17th or 18th
century fabric, remodelled in 19th century. Skewputt has
very worn date, possibly 1691. Not included in listing.
Lectern dovecot dated 1769 which formerly belonged to
house demolished during 1960's.
Change of Category B to A, 25.4.89.
Other nearby listed buildings