History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dallas Lodge and Gatepiers (South Entrance)

A Category B Listed Building in Dallas, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5547 / 57°33'16"N

Longitude: -3.489 / 3°29'20"W

OS Eastings: 310997

OS Northings: 852598

OS Grid: NJ109525

Mapcode National: GBR K8RR.GJ5

Mapcode Global: WH5HL.CCTV

Entry Name: Dallas Lodge and Gatepiers (South Entrance)

Listing Date: 26 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333244

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2338

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dallas

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Rafford

Description

Late 17th century. semi-ciruclar single and 2-storey
crowstepped range of farm offices, the eastern part of
which now incorporated in 1901 dwelling house designed
by W L Carruthers, Inverness. Rubble tooled and polished
ashlar dressings. centre round-headed archway with 1901
keystone and detailing, to W curved single and 2-storey
steading ranges, the end 2-storey block converted as
dwelling with modern rear fenestration. At E the curved
range has 1901 dormors breaking wallhead under
round-headed gablets, its end S gable projecting through
a 2-storey, 9-bay dwelling house clasping it at right
angles. Irregular S frontage to 1901 house with varied
fenestration and glazing. Crowstepped gables; coped end
and ridge; slate roofs.
INTERIOR:simple house interior with staircase curving
up side of incorpated late 17th century outside wall.
Some portions retain original pegged rafter roofs.
GATEPIERS (NJ 110 526): (S entrance), probably later
18th century. Pair ashlar gatepiers with moulded
corniced caps and ball finials on attenuated bases. Pair
decorative wrought-iron gates.

Statement of Interest

Dallas estate (Rhininver) purchased by Sir Robert Gordon

of Gordonstoun in 1668 and it would have been he who

built the semi-circular range of offices after the manner

of the Round Square at Gordonstoun. It was intended that

the crescent shaped steading was to have been fronted by

a house, which was never constructed. By 1798 'commodious

temporary accommodation is neatly fitted up'. The

property passed (as did Gordonstoun) to Gordon Cumming

of Altyre, Rafford and was sold by that family in 1907

to the Houldsworth family in whose possession it remains.

W L Carruther's drawings (NMR) show clearly the curved

range of the late 17th century building incorporated in

the later additions.

W L Carruthers also designed the stables and other estate

buildings grouped to rear of Dallas Lodge; of these only

Kennels Cottage, Netherwood and Dallas Cottage are

included in listing and are itemised separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.