History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dallas Parish Church (Church of Scotland), former watch house and burial ground excluding scheduled monument SM2206, Dallas

A Category B Listed Building in Dallas, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5481 / 57°32'53"N

Longitude: -3.469 / 3°28'8"W

OS Eastings: 312180

OS Northings: 851841

OS Grid: NJ121518

Mapcode National: GBR K8SS.5N4

Mapcode Global: WH5HL.PJBW

Entry Name: Dallas Parish Church (Church of Scotland), former watch house and burial ground excluding scheduled monument SM2206, Dallas

Listing Date: 26 January 1971

Last Amended: 21 March 2018

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333251

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2342

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dallas

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Rafford

Description

Parish Church, dated 1793. The building underwent alterations and internal completion in 1847; with further alterations by A and W Reid and Melvin in 1872. The building had further alterations and additions by A Marshall MacKenzie in 1901 and J Wittet in 1903.

It is a simple rectangular church with a long 4-bay south elevation and slate roof. The exterior is harl pointed rubble with tooled and polished ashlar dressings. The entrance is on the outer south-east bay with a corniced lintel to the doorpiece incorporating re-used Ionic pilasters. There are 3 long round-headed windows in the south elevation with similar windows to the rear (1901). There is a Venetian type east gallery window incorporating former a doorway fronted by a double staircase with polished ashlar balustrade which is decorated with ball finials. This probably served a former Laird s loft. There is a small round-headed gallery window in west gable which has multi-pane glazing. There is a dated bellcote at the west gable apex. To the rear is a vestry dated 1903.

The church as a plain re-cast interior (probably re-cast 1901) with a gallery at the east end. There is an early 19th century mural memorial in the entrance lobby.

Former watch house: this is an early 19th century gabled watch house with a slate roof. The end chimney has been sealed and surmounted by re-used carved stone lion.

Burial ground: a rubble wall burial ground encloses the church, watch house and former market cross (the cross is separately designated as SM2206). The burial ground includes a large number of mainly 18th and 19th century tomb-stones.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM2206 (see separate designation record).

Statement of Interest

The church was constructed in 1793 to replace an earlier building. The congregation having meantime worshipped in a barn at Rhininver (Dallas Lodge) by permission of Sir William Gordon Cumming. The 1792 Presbytery Records give an exact description of church as then built, the fenestration of which does not agree with present south elevation. It was probably altered in 1847 when the interior of the church would have been completed (not having been finished when first built). The present pulpit appears to date from 1872, but has been re-used and re-sited at the west end in 1901.

The market cross in the burial ground is a scheduled monument (see separate designation record SM2206).

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM2206 (see separate designation record).

Statutory address revised in 2018. Previously listed as DALLAS PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), WATCH-HOUSE, CROSS AND BURIAL GROUND .

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.