History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberlour Burial Ground, Remains of Former Parish Church of St Drostan, (Dunstan or Durston) and Macpherson Grant Mausoleum

A Category B Listed Building in Speyside Glenlivet, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.4691 / 57°28'8"N

Longitude: -3.2296 / 3°13'46"W

OS Eastings: 326347

OS Northings: 842755

OS Grid: NJ263427

Mapcode National: GBR L8DZ.F9L

Mapcode Global: WH6K7.CJBH

Entry Name: Aberlour Burial Ground, Remains of Former Parish Church of St Drostan, (Dunstan or Durston) and Macpherson Grant Mausoleum

Listing Date: 9 November 1987

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333258

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2347

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberlour

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Aberlour

Description

Large irregularly shaped walled burial ground. Rubble walls,
containing 17th and 18th century mural monuments; later walls
at E, W and S mainly dating from 1869 (A and W Reid, Elgin).
Square tooled ashlar piers flank entrance from lane (by Lour
Burn) with shallow pyramidal caps and pair spearhead
cast-iron gates. Flight of steps flanked at top and bottom by
similar piers lead from main road, also with cast-iron
spearhead gates and similar flanking railings.
ST DROSTAN'S CHURCH: Ivy clad ruin of S transept of former
(?medieval) church stands within burial ground.
MACPHERSON GRANT MAUSOLEUM: circa 1877, style of Alexander
Ross or A and W Reid; Gothic; tall, tooled and polished
ashlar buttressed rectangular mausoleum with pointed-headed
entrance in centre S gable; nookshafts, hoodmould with carved
stops, double leaf plank doors with decorative cast-iron
hinges. Cusped niche above coat of arms. Apex crosses,
saw-toothed skews, steeply pitched slate roof.

Statement of Interest

Interesting mural monuments survive, one dated 1663; 1664 to

Innes' of Kinermonie and another dated 1761 to Anderson

family of Mudhouse, Craigellachie.

Parish Church of St Drostan replaced in 1812 by predecessor

of present parish church, sited within Aberlour Burgh,

established 1812.

N portion of burial ground wall marks boundary between parish

and burgh.

Aberlour old parish manse demolished in 1869 and site

incorporated in burial ground.

Miss Macpherson Grant of Aberlour House died aged 43 in 1877.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.