This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.477 / 57°28'37"N
Longitude: -3.2033 / 3°12'11"W
OS Eastings: 327939
OS Northings: 843614
OS Grid: NJ279436
Mapcode National: GBR L8GY.TKC
Mapcode Global: WH6K7.RBTC
Entry Name: Aberlour House and Terrace (Aberlour House Preparatory School)
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333262
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2349
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet
Traditional County: Banffshire
William Robertson, 1838-9, mansion with extensive additions
by A and W Reid, 1854-68. Further alterations by Dick Peddie
and Kinnear, 1885-6. Drawing room addition circa 1892
decorated by Sir Robert Lorimer, 1892-3 who also designed
other interior decorations (surviving only in library).
Austere N facing classical 2-storey mansion with single
storey and attic ranges extending to rear. Polished and tooled
Original 5-bay house with shallow advanced outer bays; 2-tier
pedimented tetrastyle portico, lower tier projecting as porte
cochere supported by fluted Greek Doric columns with Empire
garland frieze (porte cochere circa 1855 but probably
designed by William Robertson).
2-storey, 3-bay drawing room wing extends at E continuous
Rectangular bay window (1854) lights library (former dining
room) at W; similar window lights drawing room at E (re-used
from former drawing room).
Some corniced and lugged architraves to aproned ground floor
Set back 2-bay wing survives at W with outer window framed by
paired pilasters and paired engaged columns supporting
entablature and corniced wallhead.
Extensive infilling of original rear court between 1856-1868;
E return elevation with dormers, windows and hooded canopied
Multi-pane glazing; corniced wallhead; corniced stacks;
shallow piended and gabled slate roofs.
House flanked E and W by 1838-9 polished ashlar pedimented
basket-headed arches leading to former stable court. Paired
pilasters clasp N and S facets under paired Empire garlands;
anthemion and acroteria decorate pediment. Arches linked to
house by low coped tooled ashlar quadrant walls.
INTERIOR: entrance hall, formerly with doorways to drawing
room (left) and dining room (right), opens through columned
screen to stairhall rising 2 storeys; imperial staircase with
mid 19th century cast-and wrought-iron balusters linked to
fluted Ionic cast-iron newels. Coffered ceiling with gilded
detailing and gilded floreated and foliated bosses. Chequered
marble floor (1892-3).
LIBRARY (FORMER DINING ROOM): re-modelled as library by Sir
Robert Lorimer, 1892-3, including bookcases, some with glazed
fronts; also marble chimneypiece with decorative medallions;
coffered ceiling and decorative frieze. 1837 former drawing
room (now children's common room): carved red marble
HEADMASTER'S STUDY; 1892-3 chimneypiece with marble slips.
TERRACE: (1885): mansion fronted by balustrade and flights of
steps descending to lower lawn (now playing field).
Aberlour House, together with E lodge, columns and stables
built by Alexander Grant, who originated from Glenrinnes and
who made a fortune in W Indies. It is doubtful he ever lived
in the house, which he left to his niece, Miss Margaret
Gordon MacPherson, at his death in 1854. She added Grant to
her own name and made extensive additions to house and
policies, dying in 1877 aged 43.
House damaged by fire in 1875.
Property purchased in 1885 by Sir John Ritchie Findlay, owner
of THE SCOTSMAN newspaper, who made further alterations and
additions, including drawing room decorated by Sir Robert
Lorimer (decorations have not survived).
Aberlour House now a school.
Upgraded B to A 9.11.87.
Other nearby listed buildings