History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberlour House, Walled Garden

A Category B Listed Building in Speyside Glenlivet, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.4749 / 57°28'29"N

Longitude: -3.2004 / 3°12'1"W

OS Eastings: 328106

OS Northings: 843370

OS Grid: NJ281433

Mapcode National: GBR L8GZ.2N2

Mapcode Global: WH6K7.TD51

Entry Name: Aberlour House, Walled Garden

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333267

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2354

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberlour

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Craigellachie

Description

Circa 1840 probably William Robertson. Walled garden and

loggia, with subsequent additions including entrance probably

by A and W Reid, 1855-60; further entrance by Sir Robert

Lorimer, 1893. Large, irregularly shaped but roughly

semi-circular rubble walled garden, brick lined on inner

face; tooled ashlar cope; polished ashlar dressings.

Pedimented tetrastyle porticoed roofless loggia (circa.1840)

supported by 4 unfluted Greek Doric columns projects into

garden from E portion of wall, close to recently widened

entrance.

Long straight W wall divides garden from house policies with

2 arched decorative entrances.

S ENTRANCE: style of A and W Reid, circa 1855-60; pedimented

archway with round-headed monogrammed keystoned arch flanked

by channelled ashlar pilasters. Cast-iron gates with

cast-iron trellis piers.

N ENTRANCE: Sir Robert Lorimer, dated 1893. Tall channelled

rusticated ashlar piers flank round-headed archway. Pineapple

finials with scroll brackets. Carved shell, fruit and flower ornamentation. Inscriptions carved around head of arch on

both faces initialled plaque to right of gateway on outer

face. Pair decorative wrought-iron gates.

Various carved stone plaques and roundels depicting beasts

and flowers set near gates on both faces.

Statement of Interest

Probably built by Alexander Grant (d.1854); extended by his

niece and heir Miss MacPherson Grant whose initials are

carved on S entrance.

N gate inserted by Sir John Ritchie Findlay whose initials

with those of his wife are inscribed on plaque beside gate.

Bricks for lining probably from former Craigellachie Brick

and Terracotta Works.

The larger portion of the garden now serves as caravan site.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.