This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2492 / 56°14'56"N
Longitude: -2.7573 / 2°45'26"W
OS Eastings: 353169
OS Northings: 706550
OS Grid: NO531065
Mapcode National: GBR 2S.BBGM
Mapcode Global: WH7SL.M665
Entry Name: Carnbee Village Carnbee Parish Church, Cemetery, Walls & Gatepiers
Listing Date: 1 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333441
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2512
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward
Traditional County: Fife
Built 1793-4. Simple rectangular-plan 6-bay church with low session house to west. Rubble-built with ashlar margins. 4 tall, round-headed windows with simple Y-tracery, square-headed door to each outer bay of long south wall: single small opening only on north wall.
Segmental-arched window on west gable below tiny blind oculus and re-used birdcage bellcote with tall pyramidal curved roof, taken from earlier church building. Piend-roofed low vestry, built 1838, has door to west elevation, window to south. Slate roofs.
Interior: seating plan altered before 1908, and gallery on east wall only remains. Church re-opened 1908 following
alterations by Sir Robert Lorimer, architect; simple oak-panelled dado against west wall with central pulpit,
carved with figures and with vine & grape decoration above carving by Clow brothers, Edinburgh. Oak font, also designed by Lorimer, and carved by William Wheeler Jnr of Arncroach.
Stained glass window in west wall inserted after 1886. 2 sets of Heraldic arms hang in gallery, those of Henry Bethune of Kilconquhar (dated 1787) and those of the 1st Earl of Kellie.
Churchyard enclosed by rubble-built walls with square-plan ashlar gatepiers.
Most references give 1793 as the date of erection, but the Heritors Records show that building could barely have begun by December of that year.
Building Contractors were Andrew Horsburgh Wright in Pittenweem and David Ness mason in Ovenstone.
Advertisement for tenders in Edinburgh Courant, Aug 22. 1793.
Original seating plan by Alexander Leslie of Largo, architect (who was also works surveyor) with gallery against either short wall and Kellie gallery central.
Ecclesiastical building in use.
Sir Robert Lorimer was for a time a Heritor of this parish.
Other nearby listed buildings