History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pittormie House Garden Wall Fountain to South and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Cupar, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3546 / 56°21'16"N

Longitude: -2.9414 / 2°56'29"W

OS Eastings: 341921

OS Northings: 718430

OS Grid: NO419184

Mapcode National: GBR 2K.3R3D

Mapcode Global: WH7RX.SJHT

Entry Name: Pittormie House Garden Wall Fountain to South and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 1 March 1984

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333541

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2593

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dairsie

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Cupar

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Balmullo

Description

Original house 1764 with extensive baronial additions and alterations, 1867, John Milne of St Andres, architect. East elevation incorporates original 3-storey, 4-bay house, central 2 bays advanced, with crow-stepped gables and original doorpiece with blocked architrave, keystoned and dated pediment. Conical-roofed angle turrets added to outer-bays, corbelled at 2nd floor and in northern re-entrant angle; right bay raised and gabled, left bay with pedimented dormer. All gables crow-stepped; panelled and corniced apex stacks; slated roofs with finials. Single storey ranges form U-plan courtyard; these also altered by Milne, and dated 1867 (possible malt kiln set against north wall of north range). Tall, 4 storey square tower added to north west, with

circular stair tower rising through corbelled and crenellated parapet. A symmetrical south elevati on to 2-storey west wing, irregular fenestration, including 2-storey canted window at west with tall faceted roof. Various modern additions and modifications. 1867 extensive 1 and storey additions to south.

INTERIORr: some original 18th century panelling, simple plasterwork and twisted cast-iron stair balusters. 1867 extensions have some wooden panelling, some chimney pieces and door furniture reputedly from Old Dunnikeir House (information from owner). Later 19th century fountain to south, heavily overgrown with ivy. Quatrefoil ashlar basin with moulded coping: terra cotta fountain on rubble plinth has 6 lion mask spouts, and capped centrally by 3 partially robed figures, supporting basin. Rubble-built garden wall is stepped with ashlar coping and

band course: single round, ashlar angle turret on splayed rock-faced plinth, with corbelled parapet, at south east corner, probably John Milne architect. Corniced, square rusticated ashlar gatepiers also probably 1764; wrought-iron gates with concave upper rail.

Statement of Interest

Initials 'RM' on datestone are for Robert Meldrum. Some alterations circa 1905, by Williamson, of Williamson & Hubbard, architects, Kirkcaldy. Proposed alterations by Peddie & Kinnear, 1918 (information

from SNMR).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.