This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.3335 / 56°20'0"N
Longitude: -2.9493 / 2°56'57"W
OS Eastings: 341400
OS Northings: 716090
OS Grid: NO414160
Mapcode National: GBR 2K.4WWZ
Mapcode Global: WH7S3.N2RG
Entry Name: Dairsie Old Church (St Mary's) Former Session House, Cemetery Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 1 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333569
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2610
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Cupar
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1621. Rectangular-plan, ashlar, 4-bay church, with Gothic detail. 2-stage octagonal tower corbelled over south west corner has rectangular openings to each face of upper stage: crudely balustraded above, and faceted spire with diminutive lucarnes. Segmental-headed moulded arch with Renaissance doorpiece in west wall; datestone, and crest of Spottiswood family above, with initials of Archbishop John. North and south bays divided by buttresses with 3-light windows and bold plate tracery under pointed arch (1 with cill raised over blocked door). Pair of similar windows to east wall. Continuous moulded cill course. Grotesque mask spouts below string at eaves, originally to drain flat roof, but roof altered and raised late in 18th century, Robert Balfour, Architect; now piended and slated.
INTERIOR: original interior destroyed shortly after construction: 19th century interior also gutted: gallery with panelled front remains, supported on 2 cast-iron columns: simple dado panelling: panelled oak door to bell-tower probably original. One pedimented and urn-finialed marble monument of note dated 1786, and 1648 tombslab. One window by
Ballantine & Gardiner of Edinburgh, 1905. Single storey 2-bay gabled tool-shed to east has door and blind window, both with pointed heads, to south elevation. Graveyard enclosed by rubble-built walls with corniced square ashlar gatepiers and decorative wrought-iron gates.
No longer in ecclesiastical use. Major refit 1835-7, John Kennedy, builder, and John MacCulloch, wright: some window heads and mullions replaced; windows on north wall re-opened; door on south wall blocked, and interior renewed. Sketch for pulpit and seats, 1904, among Gillespie & Scott archtiects drawings (index in SNMR.) Tool-shed was originally the session house.