This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.2952 / 56°17'42"N
Longitude: -3.0053 / 3°0'19"W
OS Eastings: 337878
OS Northings: 711876
OS Grid: NO378118
Mapcode National: GBR 2H.78T0
Mapcode Global: WH7S8.T13B
Entry Name: Hill of Tarvit House, Terraced Garden, Walled Garden
Listing Date: 1 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333588
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2628
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Cupar
Traditional County: Fife
Sir Robert Lorimer 1905-7 substantial remodelling of 1696 house (possibly by Sir William Bruce). Lorimer wrapped a classically designed range round the side and front elevations of the Bruce house, incorporating the Victorian rear wings for service blocks, the whole harled with ashlar chanelled dressings. Entrance elevation (west)
2 storeys with projecting single storey smoking room wing to north, canted bay to drawing room at south, arcaded loggia forming porch. GARDEN FRONT: 5 bays flanked by projecting wings bowed to the south; long sash windows to ground, sundial and shell niche with figure above central window. Multi-pane sashes, hipped slate roofs.
INTERIOR: hall: 1906 on lintel to chimney piece, panelled with coffered ceiling in Baronial manner; drawing room: French 18th century detail to plaster decoration and woodwork; dining room; late 17th century ceiling and pilaster details; room: incorporates chimney piece dated 1627; stair
hall: stairs with bold twisted balusters and melon caps to newels. Detailing to 1st floor rooms simpler. Terraced garden with wide balustraded steps leading to lowest level. Walled garden to north with gatepiers topped by swagged urns by Sir Robert Lorimer and wrought iron gates by Thomas Hadden in north wall.
Formerly known as Wemyss Hall. Remodelled for F B Sharp. Interior designed in specific period styles to suit Mr Sharp's collection. In the possession of the National Trust for Scotland.
Other nearby listed buildings