History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Isle of May, Isle of May Lighthouse

A Category B Listed Building in East Neuk and Landward, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1857 / 56°11'8"N

Longitude: -2.5574 / 2°33'26"W

OS Eastings: 365500

OS Northings: 699364

OS Grid: NT655993

Mapcode National: GBR ND1C.H4V

Mapcode Global: WH8V0.PSDC

Entry Name: Isle of May, Isle of May Lighthouse

Listing Date: 1 March 1984

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333678

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2712

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Anstruther Wester

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Cellardyke

Description

Robert Stevenson, 1815-16. Square, 3-stage castellated tower forms centrepiece of substantial, symmetrical 2-storey and basement residential block; picturesque, castle-style with Tudor Gothic detail. West front and tower ashlar, remaining elevations whin rubble with ashlar dressings, long and short to side elevations, flat roofs. All elevations, 3-bay, outer advanced bays of side elevations wrap round front and rear elevations to form narrow mock turret details with tall, blind hood-moulded openings. Every bay with paired Tudor arched windows setin square architraves, some hood-moulded, some blind. Descent down central well of circular stair. Cast iron staging, tongue and grooved panelling.

Interior: Circular stair in tower with teardrop cast iron balusters and walls plastered and lined as ashlar. First floor Commissioner s Board Room has a large black marble chimneypiece with iron grate flanked by caryatid figures, back plate depicting the Birth of Aphrodite, and a fireguard with lyre motif. Pointed-headed entrance at base of tower with panelled door,set-offs to each stage and each stage with pointed windows with Y tracery to each face. Corbelled parapets throughout, those to the residential block incorporate the flues. Substantial storage block extends from centre of rear elevation with castellated turrets and square battered pylon blocks set into slope of land. Lantern, 1924 by David A Stevenson. Lattice frame to lantern; light suspended on mercury tank with French louvred crystals and lenses; rotation by clockwork mechanism, weights.

Statement of Interest

Minor text update to description (non-statutory information) in 2016.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.