This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.669 / 57°40'8"N
Longitude: -2.1951 / 2°11'42"W
OS Eastings: 388458
OS Northings: 864362
OS Grid: NJ884643
Mapcode National: GBR N8YG.124
Mapcode Global: WH9N5.7HYQ
Entry Name: Old Aberdour, Former Church (Church of Scotland) Manse (Beach House Hotel), Steading and Garden Walls
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333714
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2745
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Aberdeenshire)
Electoral Ward: Troup
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Alexander Laing, 1821-23, modifying plans by William
Robertson of circa 1814-15. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay house
with later wings set back at E and W gables. Harled,
contrasting painted tooled ashlar margins. Centre entrance,
regular front fenestration, late 19th century canted dormers
in outer bays. Slightly later 2 and single storey wing set
back at E gable and projecting to rear forming L-plan. Modern
single storey, 3-bay flat-roofed wing set back at W gable.
Regular rear elevation with centre bowed projecting stairwell
rising above wallhead to terminate as bowed and piended slate
roof. Long stair window and small upper storey light in
stair-tower. 4- and 12-pane glazing. Coped end stacks; slate
INTERIOR: interior fittings include staircase with simple
balustrade; beaded panelled window shutters in ground floor
front rooms; black marble chimneypiece (possibly simulated
marble over slate) in former dining room (ground floor, W).
STEADING: simple single storey, L-plan steading with barn,
stable, byre and former gighouse in poor condition. Harl
pointed rubble, tooled rubble dressings; slate roof.
GARDEN WALLS: coped rubble walls enclose garden and rear of
house; some walling dates from 1823, some is later.
New manse and offices of Aberdour designed by March, 1815 by
William Robertson, and modified by Alexander Laing as cost of Robertson's buildings of $1214.14.10d was considered too high
by the Heritors. Laing's buildings were estimated at $1000.
The Minister, Rev George Gardiner took possession in 1823 and
was full of complaints about the accommodation provided and
the quality of the house and fittings. He took legal
Garden walls were not completed by 1823.
Manse separated from old church and burial ground by garden
Other nearby listed buildings