This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6788 / 57°40'43"N
Longitude: -2.2598 / 2°15'35"W
OS Eastings: 384601
OS Northings: 865463
OS Grid: NJ846654
Mapcode National: GBR N8SF.7F4
Mapcode Global: WH9N4.8847
Entry Name: 18, 19 Pennan
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333730
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2761
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Aberdeenshire)
Electoral Ward: Troup
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Probably built by F & R West, Pennan, after 1837; possibly extended to N. Prominently sited fronting only road into village (see Notes) with gable end to shore, 2-storey over raised basement, 3-bay (above ground) house on ground falling steeply to N. Red sandstone rubble, concrete rendered and lined as ashlar to E, with painted ashlar margins, some raised.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: entrance elevation facing steep road at E. Ground floor comprising small timber porch with flanking windows to left of centre, door immediately to right, lean-to timber porch beyond and further window at outer right over small opening at raised basement; 3 regularly-disposed windows at 1st floor. Rear elevation to W blank.
12-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates with modern rooflight. Coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and ashlar-coped skews with block skewputts.
Previously listed at category B. Prominently sited on the only road into the village, 18 and 19 Pennan is the first building seen on the steep descent into the Seatown of Pennan. Retaining much of its original character, this is an interesting early example of development housing required as a result of increased prosperity in the local fishing industry. When originally listed this building was thought to date from circa 1800 and to have been a substantial single dwelling subdivided sometime during the 19th century. Subsequent research has shown that the feus backing into the steep hillside and behind those fronting the shore were created owing to 'a demand for new houses' as recorded in the Auchmeddan Estate Survey of 1837. Further indication that this building was erected in response to the requirement for more housing can be seen in the blocked window to the rear of No 22 Pennan which almost abuts the rear elevation of 18,19, as well as the fact that the current road (which this building faces) was built in response to the need for development, replacing an earlier track some distance to the east.
Research also shows that No 18-19 was probably built by the West brothers, belonging to a long established local family, to rent out as small dwellings to local fishermen. However, the 1891 Census records John West, boat builder and merchant, at number 18 and James, boat builder, at No 19 each together with their families.
Category changed from B to C(S), 22 December 2006.
Other nearby listed buildings