History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ruins of Old House of Fetternear

A Category B Listed Building in Chapel Of Garioch, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.2434 / 57°14'36"N

Longitude: -2.4598 / 2°27'35"W

OS Eastings: 372351

OS Northings: 817056

OS Grid: NJ723170

Mapcode National: GBR X5.57BK

Mapcode Global: WH8P1.56YH

Entry Name: Ruins of Old House of Fetternear

Listing Date: 16 April 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333808

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2835

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Chapel Of Garioch

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: West Garioch

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Kemnay

Description

Roofless, burnt 1919. Oldest part 3-storey tower house 20' x
36' with circular S.W. angle tower, containing stair, ground
floor vaulted, vault partly removed later, built late 16th
century for John Leslie 8th Baron Balquhain. Made part of
large near-symmetrical mansion 1691-3 for Count Patrick
Leslie, 3-storey, 6-window with circular angle towers (that
on E belonging to original house) with 1-window W. wing to
balance the original tower house. Small ground floor
openings, large openings grooved for glass 1st and 2nd, fine
1693 armorial panel over centre door and IHS-MRA/POL/MOI/1691
above. Reconstructed early 19th century, towers raised,
corbelled and crenellated parapets added to towers and main
block, centre N. wing gutted and now staircase inserted,
James Massie architect; 2-storey wing with bow on E. added N.
of staircase, dated 1818; W. wing and cross wing 2-storey
added c. 1850.

Statement of Interest

Of the palace built by Bishop Ramsay in 1226 and extended by

Bishop Kynimund in 1330 there are virtually no remains. The

estate was in possession of the bishops until 1550 when a

lease (converted 16 years later to a gift) was granted to

John Leslie 8th Baron Balquhain. The sundial now stands in

the garden of the new house formed laundry), copper dial by

James Villers 1798 on granite baluster.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.