This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.3223 / 57°19'20"N
Longitude: -2.4913 / 2°29'28"W
OS Eastings: 370508
OS Northings: 825859
OS Grid: NJ705258
Mapcode National: GBR N96C.HDW
Mapcode Global: WH8NM.P6VZ
Entry Name: Logie House Hotel
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333830
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2857
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Chapel Of Garioch
Electoral Ward: West Garioch
Parish: Chapel Of Garioch
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Originally 1680 for James Elphinstone 3-storey with
circular angle tower (contained stair now gutted) 4-window
(originally 5?) E. elevation to court; circa 1740 2-storey N.
side of court added, irregular fenestration to N. with
buttressed 1-window bay of slight projection. Circa 1760
original block extended S., 2-storeys in height of original
3 with 3-window S. bow, 2-storey S.E. wing with 4-window S.
elevation added slightly later; circa 1770-80 2-storey piend
roofed drawing room wing added at S.W., fine rococo ceiling,
canted bay appears to be slightly later addition; circa 1785
matching N.W. dining room wing added, with 1-window
pedimented and quoined section between containing entrance
hall and staircase forming symmetrical W. front. Staircase
very plain, lit by ogee-capped lantern light, good ceiling
of late Adam type in dining room applied from moulds and
perhaps a few years later than the room itself. Diagonally
set square piend-roofed game larders flanking gate circa
1800, but chamfered archway of gate itself probably original
1680 work. Cross-corridor in court and poor stuccoed porch at
W. front unfortunate Victorian additions. Harled with margins throughout, coped chimneys, woodwork almost entirely 18th
century except in N. wing.
Unusually complex building history. The plasterwork is among
the best of its date in Aberdeenshire; the drawing room
ceiling may be compared with the recently destroyed Odd-
fellows' Hall in Queen Street Aberdeen. The estate was known
as Logie Elphinstone until 1903 when it was sold to Col.
Other nearby listed buildings