This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.6563 / 57°39'22"N
Longitude: -2.5029 / 2°30'10"W
OS Eastings: 370090
OS Northings: 863039
OS Grid: NJ700630
Mapcode National: GBR N85H.B3G
Mapcode Global: WH8LW.JTDH
Entry Name: Gavenwood with Gatepiers
Listing Date: 4 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333863
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2890
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Troup
Traditional County: Banffshire
Begun 1859, extended 1872. 2-storey with basement, 3-bay factor's house (Fife Estate). Squared and coursed whinstone with contrasting cream sandstone ashlar dressings; base course, cill course at 1st floor, eaves course. Stone mullions to bipartites.
W ELEVATION: gabled bay, advanced at centre; round-arched, pilaster flanked doorway with keystone deep-set, door with strip fanlight. Window above at 1st floor. Window at ground and 1st floor flanking bays. 1-bay wing recessed to outer right, with window to each floor.
N ELEVATION: 3-bay; bipartite to each floor at centre, full-height canted windows flanking.
S ELEVATION: gabled wing to left, with window to each floor, blind quatrefoil to gablehead. Window to each floor on return, window to basement.
2 wings projecting at rear, enclosed by high walls service court. Sash and case windows, predominantly 4-pane glazing pattern, some lying-pane glazing to N gable. Grey slates to piended roof, with over-hanging eaves. Corniced ashlar stacks with divided flues, decorative cans.
GATEPIERS: to W; pair of square ashlar, pyramidal capped
piers, gates missing.
Gavenwood was built for John Hannay and his wife, factor to the Earl of Fife 1854-90. The house was built around a well, which is now enclosed in the rear service courtyard.