This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.631 / 57°37'51"N
Longitude: -2.5404 / 2°32'25"W
OS Eastings: 367829
OS Northings: 860244
OS Grid: NJ678602
Mapcode National: GBR N82K.BY2
Mapcode Global: WH8M1.YGGC
Entry Name: Kirkton of Alvah Church with Walled Graveyard, Gates and Gatepiers, and Ogilvy Burial Enclosure
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333866
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2891
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
1792, renovated 1882 with additions and alterations probably by A and W Reid of Elgin, circa 1900. Rectangular-plan, 4-bay church with gabled porch to W, later vestry addition (1882) adjoining at right angles to N. Harled with ashlar margins; Turriff sandstone dressings to vestry.
W ELEVATION: boarded door in S re-entrant angle of gabled porch, window with hoodmould to N. Window to gablehead above. Re-used, ashlar, corniced birdcage bellcote to gable dated 1645, with round-arched openings, stepped pyramidal roof and ball finial. Bell now in Banff (see notes).
S ELEVATION: 4-bay. Early 18th century memorial to Ogilvy(?) family set in wall to centre; plaque flanked by engaged composite columns, cornice and shaped pediment encompassing portrait head, surmounted by urn. Memorial flanked by 2 tall windows, 2 smaller windows to outer bays.
E ELEVATION: door to gable at ground, window to gallery above. Window to vestry with Ogilvy arms plaque to right.
N ELEVATION: lower, single storey vestry; door to W with strip fanlight, window to left and to church to right. Sash and case windows with 12-, 20- and 30-pane glazing patterns. Grey slates, ashlar coped skews, ball finials to gables.
INTERIOR: remodelled circa 1880; panelled pulpit to S with decorative timber balustrade to shops, low arcaded timber screens, gallery supported by cast-iron columns to 3 walls. Boarded dado. Painted walls and flat ceiling.
GRAVEYARD: ashlar gablet-coped retaining walls, gatepiers and cast- and wrought-iron gates to E and W, fleur-de-lys finials. Some 18th century gravestones (see Anton).
OGILVY BURIAL ENCLOSURE: Egyptian-style, square-plan/walled enclosure. Harled rubble with ashlar dressings; base course, eaves course, coping. Battered doorway in advanced, pedimented panel incorporating heraldic bearing. Uncarved acroteria to pediment and corners.
Ecclesiastical building, not in regular use since 1950. Alvah Church was rebuilt on an existing site in 1792, re-using the bellcote of 1643. The bell, cast by Peter Jansen and dated 1645 is the second oldest in the county; it has been sited in Banff and Alvah Church in Banff, from where the parish is now administered. The Manse to the S of 1764, with later additions, is listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings