History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Corse, Old Tollhouse

A Category C Listed Building in Coull, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1536 / 57°9'13"N

Longitude: -2.7325 / 2°43'56"W

OS Eastings: 355783

OS Northings: 807211

OS Grid: NJ557072

Mapcode National: GBR WT.36FY

Mapcode Global: WH7N5.0G29

Entry Name: Corse, Old Tollhouse

Listing Date: 25 November 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333942

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2969

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Coull

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Corse

Description

Early 19th century. Single storey, 2-bay, former tollhouse, L-plan with addition to rear, bowed gable end to road with piended roof. Sqaured and tooled red granite, harled in parts.

S (ROAD) ELEVATION: advanced bowed bay to left, bay to left with entrance door to right.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: rear of L-plan with single storey, 3-bay modern addition to left built to match original.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration to advanced bay to left, modern addition abutting to right.

(SIDE) ELEVATION: large expanded window opening to centre, rectangular window to bowed outer right bay.

Astragalled replacement UPVC windows. Grey slates, lead flashing, coped stack to ridge.

INTERIOR: not seen 2002.

Statement of Interest

Tollhouse located at 25th milestone from Aberdeen. Within Scotland alone numerous tollhouses were built in the nineteenth century with similar bow-fronted projections facing the roadside, such as the Dalmarnock Toll and The Round Toll, Garscube Rd, Glasgow both from circa 1820. Many smaller versions have survived throughout Scotland such as: Bonkle, North Lanarkshire; Dunkeld, Perthshire; Kelso, Scottish Borders; West Brechin, Angus; Cramond, West Lothian. Adam had applied the bowed front to Kinross Town House, 1771, but his concerns had been formal ones of vista and axis rather than function, and it was arguably Telford himself who truly established the generic style for these functional, official buildings derived from contemporary villas. From the Ellesmere Canal Company Offices buildings in the 1790s, to the numerous Holyhead Road tollhouses of the 1820s or Dinwoodie Tollhouse on the Glasgow-Carlisle road Telford seeded long strips of Britain with bow-fronted boxes. These form an overall architectural group within which the Round House sits as comfortably as it does with the Society's other inns and as with the other public works at Pulteneytown forms part of Telford's greater body of works. The projecting bowed bays of Telford's design was by 1815 emerging as the standard model for British toll houses with many imitators such as David Logan's bow-ended May Kirk Bridge toll house, Angus, 1814.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.