This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0157 / 57°0'56"N
Longitude: -3.3619 / 3°21'42"W
OS Eastings: 317401
OS Northings: 792437
OS Grid: NO174924
Mapcode National: GBR W2.D0JQ
Mapcode Global: WH6M9.BXBL
Entry Name: Invercauld House, Including Butler's Flat, Secretary's Flat and Ancillary Structures
Listing Date: 24 November 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333969
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2995
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Crathie and Braemar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Crathie And Braemar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
17th century origins but largely dating from the 19th century. Predominantly, 1750, 1820, 1847, 1875 and 1890. Remodelled extensively in 1875 by J T Wimperis of London. Extended Z-plan, 3-storey and attic multi-gabled and turreted Scots Baronial house, forming open courtyard at N. Large dominant 6-storey castellated square tower to N and square single storey corbelled and crenellated corner entrance porch to SE, with pyramid roof, Tudor arched entrance and very battered base course. Coursed pink and grey granite. Crow-stepped gables. Corbelled and crenellated with candle-snuffer roof turrets. Small gabled roof dormers with pinnacles.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: asymmetrical elevations. 3 bay bowed wing to S with corbelled, stepped, castellated parapet with candle snuffer-roof bartizans. 2-storey polygonal section to E with piended roof. Recessed 5-bay, 2-storey and attic wing to left. W elevation; 3-storey and attic 5-bay wing to right with off-centre recessed bay with single storey crenellated entrance porch flush to elevation.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Gable and ridge stacks.
INTERIOR: complex internal plan with some outstanding public rooms and abundant original features. Broad, shallow tread finely detailed timber entrance stair with carved lions to newels. Drawing room has plaster strapwork ceiling with decorative cornicing and large white painted Gothic style chimneypiece and overmantle, with corresponding Gothic architrave. Timber panelled dining room with segmental arch stone chimneypiece. Classical style timber chimneypiece and overmantle in library and integral wall-height timber bookcases. Timber Jacobean chimneypiece to hall with obelisk decoration. Some stained glass to hall with Farquharson crest. Numerous simple timber classical chimneypieces, working shutters, decorative cornicing.
BUTLER'S HOUSE: forming U-plan with corresponding Secretary's Flat to N. W elevation; 2-storey 3-bay house with slightly advanced central gable. Tall, distinctive gable diamond stacks. Coped skews with rectangular coped skewputts.
SECRETARY'S FLAT: 2-storey 3-bay house.
GAME LARDER: single-storey and basement square-plan with chamfered corner with slated buttresses. Raised entrance reached by later metal steps. Situated to N of house within courtyard. Painted harl with granite dressings. Pyramidal roof with deep bracketed eaves. Interior not seen.
KENNELS: simple single storey weatherboarded building with open porch with rustic timber columns and small yard.
DAIRY: square-plan white painted harl with pyramidal roof and tall louvered vent at apex. Deep bracketed eaves. 4-panelled timber door and narrow windows. Some fish-scale pattern slates.
COTTAGE: to S of dairy; single storey, 3-bay cottage. Base course. Polygonal large central entrance porch to E with pyramidal bell-cast roof with decorative ball-finialled louvred flèche. 6-panel timber entrance door set within corniced and consoled classical doorpiece. Bipartite windows with timber mullion and transoms.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: low single storey weatherboarded gabled structure. 6-pane top-hopper windows with glazed pediment above.
Impressive and extensive multi-phased complex. Seat of the Farquharson family, who settled in the area in 1371. Prominently positioned on the N bank of the River Dee with open views to the S. Although the original Farquharson House was built in the 16th century, most of the current one dates from the 19th century and it is probable that the only remaining 16th century section is the vaulted basement under the tower. Additions to the house in 1674-79 transformed what was a defensive structure in to a more comfortable residence which was described by the Earl of Mar in 1715 as being a 'suitable place for residence, and commodious'. Further additions during the 18th and 19th centuries resulted in a house described by W M Taylor, in 1887 as 'one of the most commodious as well as elegant residences in the North'. There is little research currently available for Invercauld House.
The Farquharson family were closely involved with the Stuart cause in the early 18th century and Jacobite chiefs met at Invercauld to discuss their plans in 1715. Queen Victoria was a frequent visitor to the House during her periods of residence at nearby Balmoral.
J T Wimperis was a London based architect, and his work was mainly focussed there. After the remodelling of Invercauld House, he was commissioned by the Grosvenor Estate to do work in London. The landscape around the house may previously have been planned formally, but there is little evidence of this today.
Change of Category from B to A, (2006).
Other nearby listed buildings