This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.9616 / 56°57'41"N
Longitude: -3.4031 / 3°24'11"W
OS Eastings: 314778
OS Northings: 786466
OS Grid: NO147864
Mapcode National: GBR W0.HHHS
Mapcode Global: WH6MN.P9P1
Entry Name: Glen Clunie, Fraser's Bridge over Clunie Water
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333972
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2998
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Crathie and Braemar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Crathie And Braemar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1748. 2 segmental arched bridge in prominent position on Old Military Road from Blairgowrie to Fort George. Granite rubble. Parapet with large, flat-stoned coping. Cutwater to S.
The Bridge is situated on the Old Military Road, finished in 1749, close to what is now the main road and it commands an isolated, yet prominent position. It is referred to as the East Bridge in the 1776 Taylor and Skinner Map. The sequence of Military roads in the Highlands of Scotland was begun in the 1720s by General Wade, following periods of general unrest and to make communications easier between the various Government garrisons stationed throughout the area. After General Wade left Scotland in 1740, William Caulfield continued to build the roads and this bridge is attributed to him.