This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.0035 / 57°0'12"N
Longitude: -3.3425 / 3°20'33"W
OS Eastings: 318550
OS Northings: 791064
OS Grid: NO185910
Mapcode National: GBR W2.DYL8
Mapcode Global: WH6MH.M7JC
Entry Name: Invercauld Bridge over River Dee
Listing Date: 24 November 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333975
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3001
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Crathie and Braemar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Crathie And Braemar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1859. J F Beattie. 3-span, wide segmental arch bridge with 2 smaller flood arches at either end and roundels set within the spandrels. Nineteenth century replacement for Old Military Bridge over River Dee. (see notes) Coursed grey granite. Rounded cutwaters and simple coped parapet.
Invercauld Bridge is a prominent and imposing bridge on the main road from Braemar to Ballater. The money for this bridge was provided by Prince Albert in 1859. The Royal Family had bought the nearby Balmoral Estate in 1852, but were becoming increasingly concerned about their privacy around the Castle as the Old South Deeside Road from Ballater to Braemar ran through the estate. The Ballater Turnpike Road Act of 1855, allowed for the closure of this old South Deeside Road and the road was diverted onto the North side of the River. This bridge then replaced the Old Military Bridge of Invercauld of 1753.
J F Beattie was an Aberdeen architect, civil engineer and garden designer whose work mainly concentrated in the North East of Scotland.
Other nearby listed buildings