History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

12-16 (Inclusive Nos) Bank Street

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9499 / 55°56'59"N

Longitude: -3.1932 / 3°11'35"W

OS Eastings: 325586

OS Northings: 673629

OS Grid: NT255736

Mapcode National: GBR 8NG.PM

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.XQM2

Entry Name: 12-16 (Inclusive Nos) Bank Street

Listing Date: 12 December 1974

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333979

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3006

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Circa 1810, with later alterations and additions, 1898. 5-storey and attic corner tenement with shops to ground floor; 5 bays to Bank Street, later canted corner bay with bowed shop to ground floor and 4-storey canted 4-light oriel above (see Notes); 3 bays to North Bank Street. Ashlar (painted to ground). Cill courses at 1st and 3rd floors; dividing band between 1st and 2nd floors.

E (BANK STREET) ELEVATION: bays grouped 4:1; timber panelled storm doors to shops; blind windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors in 2nd bay from left; timber panelled door with small-pane fanlight in corniced and pilastered doorpiece to outer right.

BOWED CORNER: bowed glass to shop; pilaster strips, channelled to 1st floor; shaped parapet to oriel; tripartite window above; parapet to roofline, balustered to centre.

N (NORTH BANK STREET ELEVATION): regularly fenestrated; large slate-hung timber pedimented dormers (1898) to attic.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows; some 12-pane glazing. Grey slates. Broad brick stack to outer left, cement-rendered wallhead stack to right at Bank Street; corniced ashlar wallhead stack to left at North Bank Street, all with circular cans.

Statement of Interest

The Dean of Guild Plans (for Edinburgh Corporation Tramways) show the corner cut off this plain tenement, and the addition of the bowed shop and oriel, in order to ease traffic flow on the Mound. A blue plaque on the E wall indicates the birthplace of Sir Robert Philip, pioneer of the fight against tuberculosis.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.