History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beechgrove, (Former Ord Church of Scotland) and War Memorial

A Category C Listed Building in Banff, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6131 / 57°36'47"N

Longitude: -2.6324 / 2°37'56"W

OS Eastings: 362316

OS Northings: 858302

OS Grid: NJ623583

Mapcode National: GBR M8VL.QT2

Mapcode Global: WH8M0.JXQ2

Entry Name: Beechgrove, (Former Ord Church of Scotland) and War Memorial

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334025

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3047

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Banff

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Banff and District

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Whitehills

Description

1835-6; additions and alterations, James Duncan and Son, Turriff, 1899. Closed 1972; secularised circa 1975. Rectangular church, harled with tooled granite ashlar dressings and margins. Entrance in E gable masked by gabled porch, circa 1975, echoing to rear W gable vestry added 1899. Former vestry with door in S elevation, flanked by window and with end chimney stack. 4 long round-arched, keystoned windows light S elevation. Multi-pane, margined glazing to these and single

square-headed former gallery window in each gable gable. Birdcage ashlar bellcote at E gable apex (no bell survives); ball finial at W. Slate roofs.

INTERIOR: converted as dwellinghouse, re-using some 1899 balusters.

WAR MEMORIAL: small granite war memorial, 1914-19 with additional inscription to those killed 1939-45.

Statement of Interest

Plans of 1899 (quoted above) also reveal layout of 1835/6 church with pulpit in middle of S wall, long centre communion table and gallery. Church re-cast in 1899 to W, with minister's vestry added to W gable, pulpit against W wall and rows of seats divided by 2 side aisles.

The appointment of the Rev David Brown as pastor to Ord was reported in the ABERDEEN JOURNAL. The report notes that 'this place of worship has become much wanted...and appears greatly valued'. Ord Church served a congregation drawn from the fringes of Ordiquhill, Banff, Marnoch and Alvah parishes, inconveniently distant from their respective parish churches.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.