This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0176 / 57°1'3"N
Longitude: -2.6411 / 2°38'27"W
OS Eastings: 361170
OS Northings: 792012
OS Grid: NO611920
Mapcode National: GBR WX.CVWY
Mapcode Global: WH8PX.DWK3
Entry Name: Mill of Clinter, Including Weir, Lade, Secondary Wheel, Outfall Channel and Bridge
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334033
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3053
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1819, with additional storey added 1886. 2-storey, L-plan. Coursed granite rubble with harl-pointing; granite ashlar to S elevation. Long and short dressings and quoins; boarded timber doors.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; 2-leaf door to right of ground floor, 2 windows to left of ground floor, horizontal timber of former timber lean-to addition to centre (now demolished), cast-iron drive shaft extension running along outfall channel to outer left; 3 windows to 1st floor; 3 2-pane skylights to attic.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2-leaf boarded timber door with 4-pane fanlight off-centre to left, reached by flight of stone steps from right, 2-pane skylight to left of attic.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay to left with opening to ground floor and set in gablehead, window and boarded timber door to right return; recessed bay to outer right with hole for chain from water-regulator.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 8-spoke, low-breast timber and iron paddle wheel to ground floor, with square axles, opening above.
Predominantly 6-pane timber windows. Part-piended grey slate roof with tiled and lead ridges; slate-hung octagonal vent, part missing, to ridge, pig weathervane slipped to eaves to N.
INTERIOR: complete interior survives; machinery installed 1886; includes winnowing machine, hoists and flap hatchdoors, hoppers, shutes, millstones, furnace and drying floor with perforated cast-iron plates.
WEIR AND LADE: weir and lade running from W of Mill.
SECONDARY WHEEL, OUTFALL CHANNEL AND BRIDGE: 6-spoke timber and iron wheel, with square axles to S of principal wheel, in cement faced channel joining rubble-wall outfall to E; small segmental-arched granite bridge to E.
A-Group with Mill of Clinter Cottage to S, Finzean Bucket Mill and Finzean Sawmill and Turning Mill (see separate listings). The Mill of Clinter was originally one of seven mills on the River Feugh. There is mention of a meal mill at Clinter as early as 1511. The mill has been worked by descendants of the Mortimer family for over 170 years. At one time there was a brew house at the Mill of Clinter. In addition to the rent, the tenants of the mill used to pay the landowner one fat pig. The cast-iron pig on the weathervane is a reminder of this. The smaller 6-spoke wheel probably drove a generator.
Other nearby listed buildings