This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0489 / 57°2'56"N
Longitude: -2.7036 / 2°42'13"W
OS Eastings: 357408
OS Northings: 795534
OS Grid: NO574955
Mapcode National: GBR WV.9SX2
Mapcode Global: WH7NR.F3S2
Entry Name: Ballogie Policies, Home Farm
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334071
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3091
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1832. 2-storey, basement to S Elevation, courtyard-plan home farm, with additions and alterations by Walker and Beattie in the late 19th century. Pink coursed granite rubble with long and short dressings. Predominantly boarded timber openings; crowstepped gables.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; gabled bay to centre, segmental-arched pend to courtyard at ground floor; round-arched window to centre of 1st floor; clock set in centre of pediment; cast-iron birdcage bellcote with weathervane to apex; blind window below louvred opening to flanking bay to left and right; broad opening with sliding door to outer left, boarded timber gableted dormer above; irregularly spaced skylights to attic.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 5-bay; regular fenestration to ground floor of 4-bays to right, window to centre and flanking bay to left at 1st floor, window between ground and 1st floors to outer left; variety of infilled openings. Irregular door and window openings to basement.
E ELEVATION: obscured by harled additions.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; opening with sliding door to left, infilled openings to right; 2 boarded timber piend-roofed dormers to attic.
Cobbled floor. Segmental-arched pend flanked to left and right by sliding boarded timber doors with glazed panels; 3 boarded timber piend-roofed dormers breaking eaves to N Block, irregularly placed boarded timber openings, infilled openings and skylights to remainder.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows and 6-pane pivoting timber windows. Modern asbestos roofing. Coped wallhead stack to W, with octagonal can. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
The Ballogie Estate was, in 1650, called Tillysnaught, and belonged to the Roses of Kilravock. It then passed to the Forbes family, followed by the Innes family and their relatives the Farquharsons. When the Innes family of Ballogie and Balnacraig died out the Farquharsons took on their name, becoming Farquharson-Innes. Lewis Farqhuarson-Innes was responsible for the building of the Home Far, and the "ornamented entrance and a clock in front" (Dinnie, p95). In 1850 the estate was sold to Mr James Dyce Nicol, a former MP for Kincardineshire. He was described as "a progressive landowner, spending large sums of money on his properties", and was probably responsible for initiating the later alterations to the home farm.
Other nearby listed buildings