History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Forest of Birse Estate, Glencat House, Including Boundary Walls

A Category C Listed Building in Birse, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.0286 / 57°1'43"N

Longitude: -2.7584 / 2°45'30"W

OS Eastings: 354064

OS Northings: 793315

OS Grid: NO540933

Mapcode National: GBR WS.C6R6

Mapcode Global: WH7NQ.LLQM

Entry Name: Forest of Birse Estate, Glencat House, Including Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 25 November 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334080

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3099

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Birse

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside

Parish: Birse

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Ballogie

Description

Dated 1814. 2 storey and attic, 3-bay, traditional farmhouse. Harled. Rubble base course.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; glazed boarded timber door to centre of ground floor, tooled lintel reading "1814"; window to each flanking bay; regular fenestration to 1st floor, 2 skylights symmetrically placed to attic floor.

NE ELEVATION: gabled, near-symmetrical; blank, with metal vent to centre of ground floor; lean-to addition adjoining to outer right.

NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; window to centre of ground floor, with window off-centre to left above; lean-to addition to bay to left at ground floor with boarded timber door to right return, 2-pane window above at 1st floor; gabled boarded timber addition advanced to ground floor of bay to right, door to left return, corrugated roof.

SW ELEVATION: gabled, blank.

Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roof with tiled ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

BOUNDARY WALLS: dry granite rubble enclose to SE, and retaining wall to NW of house.

Statement of Interest

Glencat, which lies in a glen which originally housed distilleries, was owned by the Mortimers of Craigievar. By 1770 it was under the ownership of the Earl of Aboyne, and now forms part of the Forest of Birse Estate. The scale and proportions of the building are very similar to those of Newmill (see separate listing).

Recommended Books

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.