This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0832 / 57°4'59"N
Longitude: -2.786 / 2°47'9"W
OS Eastings: 352454
OS Northings: 799409
OS Grid: NO524994
Mapcode National: GBR WR.7STV
Mapcode Global: WH7NJ.57L8
Entry Name: Aboyne Castle Policies, Home Farm, Including Ancillary Structure and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334121
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3125
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aboyne and Glen Tanar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Aboyne And Glen Tanar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Probably George Truefitt, dated 1889. Large 1? storey model farm with adjacent ancillary structure, now converted to hall and offices. Coursed granite with rough-faced dressings. Sloping projecting cills; boarded timber doors.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 6-bay central block with single storey wings and additions to outer left and right. 4 round-arched openings to centre 4 bays at ground floor, small-pane 2-leaf timber door to 2nd arch from right, windows to remaining arches; 4 pairs of windows above, flanked by tooled datestone reading "1889" to right and armorial panels to left; 15-pane windows to outer right and left. Single storey, single bay wings, slightly advanced, adjoining to ground floor to left and right, bipartite window to centre under jerkin-headed roof, flanked to inside by boarded timber door slightly recessed. Single storey, single bay, piend-roofed additions to outer left and right, windows to centre.
E ELEVATION: ground floor obscured by wings and additions; 3 pairs of windows below eaves. Single storey, 3-bay addition to left of ground floor, segmental-arched openings, boarded timber door flanked by window to left, 3-pane horizontal window to centre bay, boarded timber door to bay to right, 2-pane window to outer right; 3-light skylight to centre of roof. 3-bay, 1? storey block adjoining to outer right, segmental-arched, 2-leaf door to centre, flanked to left and right by 6-pane windows, gabled boarded timber door above with 2-pane triangular fanlight.
N ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 6-bay; 4 pairs of windows below eaves, flanked to left and right by single window. Ground floor obscured by single storey, 6-bay block with raised terminating bays to outer left and right; 4 triangular-glazed gabled dormers to centre block; modern lean-to additions to outer right.
W ELEVATION: main block not seen 1999. 1? storey addition to outer left, broad opening off-centre to right of ground floor, tripartite window set in gable above.
Variety of small-pane timber windows. Piended purple-grey slate roof with gabled timber vents and lead ridge and flashings. Coped wallhead stack to addition to E, with circular can. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: round-arched arcades to N, E and W; open timber roof with queen-post trusses.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE AND BOUNDARY WALL: single storey, 4-bay ancillary structure (now office) to NE of home farm. Modern glazed timber door, to penultimate bay to right, flanked to left and right by modern glazed timber windows; 2-leaf boarded timber door to bay to outer left. Left and right returns blank; rough-faced boundary wall adjoining building to right. Piended purple-grey slate roof with lead ridge and flashings, cast-iron ventilators and rainwater goods.
A-Group with Aboyne Castle, Mains of Aboyne, South Lodge, West Lodge, Walled Garden, Allach Bridge and Ice House. It would appear that the general poor quality of soil in Deeside restricted farmers, however "the Early of Aboyne's personal farm is in very high cultivation. It consists of nearly 400 stone fences, lined with hedge-rows and alternatively producing white and green crops; and it proves what can be done, even of Dee-side, by the proper application of soil, manure and good ploughing" (OSA p301). He built up the estate, and taught the locals how to improve their own farms. Sir William Cunliffe Brooks of Glen Tanar bought the Aboyne estate in 1888. The style of the Home Farm strongly suggests that George Truefitt, who designed most of the buildings on the Glen Tanar estate, was employed again here, presumably while he was working on the alterations to the castle. The principal building is extremely unusual, creating a large covered central space surrounded by arcades leading to lean-to sheds.
Other nearby listed buildings