History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glen Tanar Estate, Bridge of Ess, over the Water of Tanar

A Category B Listed Building in Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.0634 / 57°3'48"N

Longitude: -2.8184 / 2°49'6"W

OS Eastings: 350465

OS Northings: 797224

OS Grid: NO504972

Mapcode National: GBR WP.95LT

Mapcode Global: WH7NH.PQ3H

Entry Name: Glen Tanar Estate, Bridge of Ess, over the Water of Tanar

Listing Date: 24 November 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334123

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3127

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aboyne and Glen Tanar

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside

Parish: Aboyne And Glen Tanar

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aboyne

Description

Early 19th century, widened 1894 by George Truefitt and Thomas Mawson. Single span, segmental-arched bridge over Water of Tanar. Granite rubble, with finely finished granite arch-ring; splayed wing walls, circular terminations with half-sphere caps; rough-faced, coped parapet with angles shallow refuges; decorative ironwork railings. Datestone to inside W parapet reading "1894", tooled panel to outside W parapet.

Statement of Interest

The Glen Tanar Estate was originally a deer forest which was part of the Aboyne Castle Estate. In 1869 Sir William Cunliffe Brooks, a Manchester banker and MP, bought the estate from the 10th Marquis of Huntly. Brooks employed Thomas Mawson to layout the garden and estate, George Truefitt as architect, and 250 masons to construct the buildings, built of granite quarried locally. Both Mawson and Truefitt appear to have been involved in the widening of the bridge of Ess (called Bridge of Ash on the 1st Edition OS Map) which was the be the new entrance to the park. Truefitt also designed the adjacent gatepiers and the Tower of Ess (see separa "BRIDGE O'ESS miles to Bridge of ABOYNE 1?, DINNET 3?, BALLATER 9?". Tooled panel to outside of W parapet not legible 1999.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.