History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whitehills, Seafield Street, Trinity Church (Church of Scotland)

A Category B Listed Building in Boyndie, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6756 / 57°40'32"N

Longitude: -2.5801 / 2°34'48"W

OS Eastings: 365500

OS Northings: 865234

OS Grid: NJ655652

Mapcode National: GBR M8ZF.QRC

Mapcode Global: WH8LV.BBMM

Entry Name: Whitehills, Seafield Street, Trinity Church (Church of Scotland)

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334174

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3165

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Boyndie

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Banff and District

Parish: Boyndie

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Whitehills

Description

Alexander Ross, dated 1879, constructed as Trinity
United Presbyterian Church, Seafield Street, Banff and
removed IN TOTO to present site 1925-6.
Gothic. Rectangular church with 6-bay long street (E)
elevation. Dark rubble, contrasting tooled and polished
ashlar sandstone dressings.
Projecting buttressed and gabled porch in extreme left
bay (SE) with pointed-headed entrance and plank door with
ornate cast-iron hinges. Slim 2-stage angle clock tower
abuts porch with conical slate roof. 5
pointed-headed windows light frontage; large geometric
traceried window in W gable; shaped pointed-headed
window enclosing hexafoil light in N gable with narrow
side lights and coloured glazing. Lattice-pane glazing
elsewhere. Apex crosses; slate roof with tiled ridge.
Single storey vestry projects at rear.
INTERIOR: lofty interior with timber braced rafter roof.
Cusped panelled pulpit in centre of E wall with cusped and
canopied backboard. Cusped panelled face to Communion
table. Plain pine pews.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Church reconstructed as it stood in Banff except for extra

stage to tower to accommodate clock.

A handbell dated 1727 and inscribed 'The Town of Whitehills'

and a plaque dated 1860 commemmorating the establishment

of a lifeboat in Whitehills are displayed in the church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.