This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6632 / 57°39'47"N
Longitude: -2.6004 / 2°36'1"W
OS Eastings: 364274
OS Northings: 863860
OS Grid: NJ642638
Mapcode National: GBR M8YG.MFL
Mapcode Global: WH8LV.0NZ5
Entry Name: Boyndie Church of Scotland Manse
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334246
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3235
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
1841-2, style of William Robertson, Elgin. Square on plan,
2-storey over raised basement, 3-bay house with 3-bay
return E and W elevations. Harled, tooled ashlar margins,
tooled granite angle margins, polished ashlar dressings.
Centre corniced and pedimented entrance with end
demi-anthemion acroteria (all painted) approached by flight
of steps with solid ashlar balustrade oversailing raised
basement. Regular fenestration, the raised ground floor
windows all tall, in front with decorative cast-iron guards
and some windows blind in E and W return elevations.
Projecting pedimented rear centre bay accommodating
stairwell. 12-pane glazing (except for single window in each
return elevation with replaced 4-pane glazing). Piended
platform local slate roof with paired corniced stacks
and centre glazed top light.
INTERIOR: entrance lobby leads to top-lit stairhall with
drawing room opening right and study (?former dining room)
at left. Plain white painted chimneypiece in drawing room;
simple corniced ceiling. Staircase leads to 1st floor
landing off which bedrooms lead through round-headed arches;
centre oval balustrated light-well (now glazed).
Manse of Boyndie succeeded a former manse constructed
approximately 50 yards to rear circa 1775. Plans
presented to presbytery for comment at a meeting held on 21st
February 1841 by Mr Alex Rainy, Factor to Boyndie
'Factory' of Seafield Estate. By March, 1842 the 'commotions
new manse' was nearly finished.
William Robertson of Elgin worked extensively for Seafield
Estates from circa 1820 until his death in June 1841 and
the building is in his style.
The manse is approached from the rear, which accounts for
the importance of the design of the rear elevation with its
pedimented centre bay.
1841 U-plan steading to E of manse in poor condition and
not included in listing.
Other nearby listed buildings