History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Balmaghie Parish Church and Churchyard, Church of Scotland

A Category B Listed Building in Dee and Glenkens, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9751 / 54°58'30"N

Longitude: -3.997 / 3°59'49"W

OS Eastings: 272277

OS Northings: 566318

OS Grid: NX722663

Mapcode National: GBR 0BJX.GC

Mapcode Global: WH4VS.K6WW

Entry Name: Balmaghie Parish Church and Churchyard, Church of Scotland

Listing Date: 4 November 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334471

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3422

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Balmaghie

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Dee and Glenkens

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Find accommodation in
Crossmichael

Description

Dated 1794; 1891-4 porch and vestry, internal alterations
by Peddie and Kinnear. 1893 level of tower lowered and
re-roofed, James Barbour architect. T-plan church with
octagonal tower to centre of long side (S). Painted rubble;
polished red sandstone margins to all openings - probably all
of late 19th century date; pointed arch windows, some with
Y-tracery.
Lean-to porch to SW gives access to church. S elevation 5-bay
with Y-tracery to outer bays, lancet inner bays and central
octagonal tower with pointed arch door with eliptical
datestone above inscribed MDCCXCIV, restored 1894 and 1913.
Band-course over ground stage. Pointed-arch louvred under
over door. Octagonal slate roof with tall weathervane.
INTERIOR: remodelled 20th-century, panel-fronted galleries to
E and W jambs. Central pulpit with carved reredos, 2 stained
glass lancets. Modern timber-lined coved ceiling.
CHURCHYARD: rubble walled churchyard around church. Mainly
late 18th or 19th century gravestones.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Canmore notes that the church was built in 1794 on the site of a previous place of worship and it was restored in 1894 and 1913. The earlier place of worship belonged to the Priory of Iona but by the time of the Reformation was owned by the Abbey of Holyrood. Canmore explains that a fragment of the previous church is now part of the east gate.

Listed building record updated in 2014.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.