History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dalton Village, Dalton Parish Church

A Category B Listed Building in Dalton, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0524 / 55°3'8"N

Longitude: -3.3886 / 3°23'19"W

OS Eastings: 311384

OS Northings: 573986

OS Grid: NY113739

Mapcode National: GBR 4BS0.5N

Mapcode Global: WH6XY.X8JK

Entry Name: Dalton Village, Dalton Parish Church

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334511

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3458

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dalton

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Annandale South

Parish: Dalton

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Dalton

Description

J Dick Peddie, architect. Dated 1895. Romanesque revival

church. Snecked bull-faced red ashlar with polished dressings

and heavy clasping angle buttresses. Rectangular-plan with

slightly lower chancel at E, massive 2-stage square tower at

E and porch placed at W end of long N wall. Round-headed

openings and hood-moulded doors.

TOWER: E facing door in re-entrant angle; louvered bipartite

belfry openings to elevations, shafted mullions with

scalloped capitals; corbelled parapet, with spouts, encloses

slated thin steeple with weathervane finial.

Main body of church: Single lights to bays, 3-light gable

windows. Straight skews with cross finials. Slate roofs.

INTERIOR: contrasting long-and-short-worked dressings and white-plastered walls; wide chancel arch; octagonal oak

pulpit; open timbered roof.

Situated to NW of old cemetary, and enclosed mostly by iron

railings on low cope; war memorial cross to NW, finial from

old parish church N gable placed between tower and porch

(finial listed separately).

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Allan R Crombie and Frank Carruthers both submitted plans for

enlarging old church as well as for a new building. Inscribed

1704 bell, by John Meikle of Edinburgh formerly in old

church, noted in RCAHM INVENTORY, 1920 no 96.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.