History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Denbie House

A Category A Listed Building in Dalton, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0431 / 55°2'35"N

Longitude: -3.3927 / 3°23'33"W

OS Eastings: 311101

OS Northings: 572955

OS Grid: NY111729

Mapcode National: GBR 4BR3.8Z

Mapcode Global: WH6XY.VHLQ

Entry Name: Denbie House

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334523

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3469

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dalton

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Annandale South

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Dalton

Description

Early 19th century (1706 marriage stone in porch).

Piend-roofed tripartite-plan classical 2-storey, 5-bay

country house; substantial additions late 18th century

doubling house in size. Further mid 19th century rear wing

rendered and lined as ashlar with ashlar dressings and

rustication.

ORIGINAL HOUSE: S elevation: inner 3 bays grouped; lugged bolection-moulded central doorway with steep-pitched pediment

on engaged Doric columns (marriage stone in tympanum);

windows all with rusticated long and short worked dressings,

flat heads and quoins, rustication dies in to reveals;

moulded base course and cornice continued on side elevations;

string at 1st floor cill level; 2-bay flanks with chamfered

window reveals. Sash windows throughout, with 12-pane glazing

pattern. Steep, piended slightly bell-cast slate roof with 2 close-spaced margined and corniced small (?original) ridge

stacks transversely set.

INTERIOR: much original bolection-moulded timber panelling

at ground and at 1st floors with moulded entablatures; stone bolection-moulded fireplaces with timber chimneypieces and

double lugged architraves.

ADDITIONS: at 2 periods now forming roughly L-plan to rear of

house, and undistinguished; single deeply-recessed S-facing

bay sympathetically detailed.

INTERIOR: cantilevered stair belongs to late 18th century

extension.

Statement of Interest

Marriage stone with Carruthers crest and initials "IC MC 6th

April 1706". 2 garden urns nearby broken from bases; 2

elaborately carved armorial panels, 1, at least, from

Spedlin's tower.

Design closely related to old Dalton Parish Church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.