History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Canonbie Village, Canonbie Parish Churchyard and Donaldson Monument (Priory Sedilia)

A Category B Listed Building in Canonbie, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0777 / 55°4'39"N

Longitude: -2.9491 / 2°56'56"W

OS Eastings: 339501

OS Northings: 576328

OS Grid: NY395763

Mapcode National: GBR 79VQ.BL

Mapcode Global: WH7Z3.NMWQ

Entry Name: Canonbie Village, Canonbie Parish Churchyard and Donaldson Monument (Priory Sedilia)

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334556

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3498

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Canonbie

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Annandale East and Eskdale

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Canonbie

Description

Churchyard occupying roughly triangular site and incorporating re-erected Romanesque sedilia arch. Rubble-built enclosure walls

with ashlar coping; wrought-iron gate at NE corner dated 1909.

Mainly 18th and 19th century carved headstones; sedilia - sole

surviving recognisable fragment of nearby priory - adapted as

Donaldson monument (moulded and arched recess with dog-tooth

ornament and carved label stops); anonymous earlier/mid 19th

century square-plan and crenellated ashlar-built mausoleum;

piend-roofed ?watch house at W.

Statement of Interest

20th century extension to E not included in listing.

Sedilia re-erected during ministry of James Donaldson (viz

1815-54); priory was a dependency of Jedburgh Abbey;

architecturally, its style might relate with the nave at

Jedburgh or with the early 13th century work at Lanercost.

"The religious house of Liddel", in the 'debateable land',

was suppressed by Henry VIII in 1544 ("as others have been

suppressed in England" - quoted by Cowan and Easson), but also

said (OSA) to have been ruined in 1542 following Battle of

Solway Moss; remains plundered circa 1752 for building

Canonbie bridge; OSA report (1795) mentions this fragment as

adjoining the then parish church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.