History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Murraythwaite House and Stable Court

A Category B Listed Building in Cummertrees, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0407 / 55°2'26"N

Longitude: -3.3666 / 3°21'59"W

OS Eastings: 312766

OS Northings: 572651

OS Grid: NY127726

Mapcode National: GBR 4BX4.YV

Mapcode Global: WH6XZ.8K3L

Entry Name: Murraythwaite House and Stable Court

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334612

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3548

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cummertrees

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Annandale South

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Dalton

Description

Several building phases; core circa 1766, 2-storey, 4-bay

house, additions throughout 19th century culminating in 1902

(dated) additions and re-modelling by Sir Reginald Blomfield. Symmetrical 2-storey country house with full-height flanking

wings, and plain long W wing. Mostly rubble-built with ashlar

dressings.

S elevation: original house rendered with ashlar margins and

off-centre plain doorway an alteration with re-set inscribed

stones above; 3 pedimented dormers (probably by Blomfield):

advanced flanking wings (left wing has 1844 dated ground

floor lintel) altered and heightened by Blomfield, with

canted full-height windows with pilastered mullions,

datestone and clasping pilaster strips. Main cornice and

blocking course carried over all elevations.

N elevation: 3-bay centrepiece, early 19th century addition

to main house double-pile arrangement, with mid 19th century

inserted cross windows (paired in outer bays); shallow

advanced and pedimented central entrance bay with (?)original

panelled door and decorative fanlight, brass doorbell (?)by

Blomfield. Flanking steep-pitched wallhead gables; wings each

2 bays. Windows mostly small-paned sashes; dormers and cross

windows casements. Corniced stacks; piended slate roofs. W

wing, by Blomfield, also 2 storeys, but lower, and with

asymmetrical elevations.

U-plan stables to SW, court flanked by rusticated piers;

garages in S range; glass-houses to S, beyond.

Statement of Interest

Murray of Murraythwaite archive in S.R.O. includes relevant documentation.

Original house built for John Murray.

Various inscribed dates probably refer to building dates:

stone inscribed "1800, 1823, 1863" and "Refecit 18(?4)5";

17th century pediment and 1660 lintel re-set over S door.

G.D. ref. includes building account 1768-70 and 1774.

Palladian elevation by Walter Newall - copy in Dumfries

Museum.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.